7/18/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 7/18



Wednesday, July 18, 2007: it was my day off and it was raining - not a beach day! I'd been thinking for some time about starting a blog and it seemed a good day to explore that possibility - so I did.  I was surprised to find how easy it is to set up a page online and before the afternoon was over, I had published my first post.  That was 16 years ago today and since then my blog has had  5,506,967 hits - and the post you're reading right now is number 11,570!

As a priest now retired from assigned ministry, writing this blog is an important way for me to continue to serve God's people - and to pray with them.  Together, we are a community of believers who come to this virtual chapel at all hours of the day and night, meeting the Lord in prayer: on my blog, Facebook and Twitter.  

The most frequent comment readers make about the prayers I write is this: I can't believe how often you seem to know just what I needed to read and pray!  Well, the truth is: I don't know just what you need - but I believe that Jesus does and that through the grace of the Spirit, he weaves together all our needs into one great prayer from our collective heart.  Please be sure that I never forget how many people are praying with me through my blog - and I hope you never forget me and all the others who are praying with you...
 
Here we are again, Lord:
     your virtual congregation,
     gathered in our virtual chapel
     by the light of our virtual candle,
 offering you our real time, heartfelt
     prayers, needs and worries,
     our disappointments, mending and brokenness,
     our thanksgiving, fears and laughter,
     our anxieties, joys and troubles,
     our questions, doubts and faith,
     our sorrows, recovery and grief,
     our struggles, smiles and distress,   
     our remorse, contrition and laughter,
     our pain, serenity and burdens,
     our heartaches, headaches and happiness,
     our apprehensions, scruples and gratitude,
     our contrition, consolation and growth,
     our pleas, our praise and our peace…
 
Only a virtual sanctuary, Lord,
     could make room for all we bring
         every time we gather!
 
 We gather together
     though we sit by ourselves;
 we pray together
     in a silence, hushed and shared,
 and we sing together
     as a choir only you can hear…
 
And tonight, Lord, I'm inviting each of us, 
    gathered here in prayer,
to rummage through our baggage
     and to search until we find 
something to be grateful for:
     a reason to be cheerful,
     someone who's a gift of grace,
     a memory of your mercy,
     a trace of grace encountered,
     a sign that signals hope,
     a scar left by your healing,
     a souvenir of happy days,
     a token of your gentle touch,
     a keepsake of your faithfulness,
     a reminder of a simpler time
when we were not so burdened,
when our hearts were so much lighter,
when our faith in you was strong,
and the prospect of tomorrow
    was a promise, not a problem...
 
Help us rummage through our baggage, Lord,
 and find the signs of all the ways
     you've been our faithful friend,
     our help, our peace, our brother,
     our savior and redeemer,
     our light through dark of night,
     our way when we were lost,
     our strength when we were weak,
     our hope when we had none,
     our joy when all was gone...
 
Help us all remember, Lord,
     how you’ve brought us safe thus far
         - and safe will lead us home...
 
We pray for one another, Lord,
     gathered in the faith we share,
     connected by the wi-fi of your Spirit's holy power,
     united in our trust in you
     and in the prayer we offer
     on this and every night…
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
     and watch over us when we fall asleep
 that awake, we might keep watch for you
     and asleep, rest in your peace…

Amen.

I Have Prayed For You by Mark Hayes and Randy Cox
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here



I have prayed for you
that your faith is still held fast.
I prayed for you,
a guard against the tempest
Every time you’re brought to mind,
every prayer you’ve left behind.
I have raised you up on high,
I have prayed for you.

I have prayed for you
that God’s will is your guide.
I pray for you that you are led each day.
Every time I sense you there,
every time I knelt in prayer,
and in all this world of care
I have prayed for you.

I will pray that God’s strength
will hold you in the arms
of the One who gave his all for you.
I will pray every day
that this life of faith remains close
to my heart and mind.

I will pray, I will pray,
I will stay on my knees,
I will pray for you today.

God, who hears in all the secret places
will attend to our every plea.
All we ask, all we need, all our desires will be answered
in God’s own time, God’s own time.

I will pray that God’s strength
will hold you in the arms
of the One who gave his all for you.
I will pray every day
that this life of faith remains close
to my heart and mind.

I will pray, I will pray,
I will stay on my knees,
I will pray for you today.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!