9/26/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 9/26



Tonight's prayer has several parts: 
    (1) I listen to the Lord speak in the scriptures  
    (2) I respond to the word I've heard
    (3) The Lord answers my prayer!
    (4) I speak to the Lord once again..
 
Lord, you keep track of all my sorrows,
   you collect my tears in a jar, 
      you record each one in your book...  (Psalm 56:8)
 
If you're collecting all my tears, Lord,
then by now you must have gallon jugs 
filled with the dew of the sadness and joy 
I've wept over all these years...
 
For a long time, it seemed, 
my tears only flowed 
in sadness and in sorrow,
washing my bruised and wounded heart,
a drop at a time or a steady stream...

But the older I get the quicker tears come
at the least little joy:
    some beautiful sight,
    a memory recalled,
    a word I've read,
    a song I've heard
letting stream from within 
the waters that flow 
from my story of who I am...
 
You record my tears in a book, Lord?
I imagine, then, sacral, lachrymal pages,
tear-stained, watermarked, carefully kept
by you who number
my days, my sorrows, my joys...

And the Lord responds...

I know your joys and your sorrows:
    both your tears of laughter 
    and your tears of grief...
 
And because they're all so precious to me
I store all your tears in a jar:
    droplets of grace, salty memories 
    of every time you turned to me, 
    leaned on me and cried to me
        in sorrow and in joy... 

And I pray...

In good times and bad you're with me, Lord,
as you tenderly, gently, dry the tears
that moisten my face and roll down my cheeks
in streams of love from the springs of my heart...

Receive my tears as prayers, O Lord:
    some, a cry from my broken heart;
    some, a plea for your healing touch;
    and others, a psalm of grateful praise
        for your comfort, peace and compassion...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
You Have Collected All My Tears  by Dan opdeVeigh

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
You catch and collect every drop on my cheek
You know all my sorrow, you feel all my grief
You stand with me through the fire and fear
You redeem every tear
You redeem every tear

You clean every stain, you forgive all my sis
You raise me to life now my heart beats again
My hope will rise as your glory appears
You redeem every tear
You redeem every tear

So all things shall be well
All things shall be well
Take heart, child of God,
All things shall be well

You count every hair and you number my days
You search me, you know me, you call me by name
You weep with me as you always draw near
You redeem every tear
You redeem every tear

You promise to stay ever close by my side
And work for my good through the pain of the night
Heaven will come to the earth you hold dear
All your beauty made clear
When you wipe away all my tears

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!