10/7/23

Pause for Prayer: SATURDAY 10/7


When fall comes 'round each year, Lord,
I wonder if, by night,
you climb down from the heavens,
perhaps on Jacob's ladder,
to paint the leaves, one by one, 
in all their autumn glory...

I wonder and I muse
on how it is you might decide
the trees that you choose first and deem
deserving of your brush...
 

Why the ash - and not the maple?
Why those elms but not the mighty oak,
so close, just down the street?
 

It seems you move from tree to tree, 
painting branches here and there
with swaths of green left in between
until you come another night
with blessings from your palette
to complete what you've begun...


 
And oh, the colors, Lord!
I love the orange, yellow, red
but might it be you favor
the purple, rust and brown?
 
Do we see with different eyes?
Is there beauty I'm yet blind to?
Is the glory in the branches
or the changing, turning,  falling
of all that lives and breathes?
 
The wonder in my reverie 
probes wisdom, grace and memory
but you alone, the artist, Lord,
know autumn's sacred mystery...
 
And sooner than I want, Lord,
the leaves in all their beauty 
will lose their grip on branch and limb
and fall, spill and swirl in
November's chilly gusts
to carpet my backyard 
for the coming winter's snow...
 
Draw my eye, my heart and soul
to the beauty you reveal, Lord,
when night by night and day by day
you climb down from the heavens,
perhaps on Jacob's ladder,
to paint the leaves, one by one,
in all their autumn glory...
 
Amen.  
 
All photos by CP in Concord, MA

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!