12/26/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 12/26



Notice the placement of a comma in the title of a well-known Christmas carolConsider the difference between the two titles:
    God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
and
    God Rest You, Merry Gentlemen 
The song is not addressed to "merry gentlemen," (nor to merry gentle women).  The 18th century understanding of the phrase "God rest you" is "God keep and sustain you." And the older understanding of "merry" is "in peace."   The carol's title then intends, "God keep and sustain you in peace, gentlefolk."

This leads me to share with you a wonderful image in which God appears to be both granting rest to the Holy Family and resting, keeping them, in divine peace...


At some point, Lord,
the song of angel choirs faded away
and the sky once again was all moon and stars...

At some point the shepherds whispered, "Good night!"
and returned to the fields and their flocks...
 
At some point the ass and the ox settled down
and slept, undisturbed, in the stable's silence...

And just at that point, I imagine, Lord,
Mary collapsed in Joseph's arms
and you fell asleep in hers:
    your holy family huddled in love,
    each but a heartbeat away from a heartbeat
    sounding as soft as a lullaby,
    sung in the depths of your souls...

Rest me merry, Lord, rest me merry!
Keep me and hold me 
close in your arms;
sing me to sleep with a lullaby
of your gentle mercy and tender care;
let my heart beat as one with yours
as yours beats one with mine...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Here's a lullaby arrangement of God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
as background for your own personal time in prayer.  If this music
lulls you to sleep - know that you're in the good company of Jesus,
Mary and Joseph!

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen by Lullaby Dreamers

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

And... just for fun!   

Here's a clever arrangement of this old tune: a parody of how various placements of the comma in the title yields different meanings to the lyrics. Enjoy!


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!