1/11/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 1/11



I came across this scripture a few days ago and it has stayed with me in prayer - perhaps it will be helpful for you, too...

What will separate us from the love of Christ?
Will anguish, or distress, or persecution, or famine, 
   or nakedness, or peril, or the sword?
No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly 
    through him who loved us. 
For I am convinced that nothing will be able to separate us
    from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
 
But the truth is, Lord,
    I let too many things 
        come between you and me...

    I fail to put my trust in you 
        and end up in defeat
            in body, mind and spirit...
 
    I focus on what troubles me
        and miss your reaching out
            to help me bear my burdens...
 
    I cling fast to my brokenness
        with hope that I might fix
            what only you can mend...
 
    I isolate in fear and shame
        and blind myself to you
            and your omnipresent love...

What will separate me from you, O Lord?
Will grief, or disappointment, or loneliness, or failure, 
    or confusion, or depression, or doubt, or illness?
Will betrayal, or confinement, or fatigue, or debt,
    or discouragement, or sorrow, or rejection, or fear?
No!  
For in all these things I have a share 
    in your victory and grace, your strength and your help,
        your healing and joy, your wisdom and counsel,
            your fidelity and peace and your mercy and pardon.
For I am convinced that nothing need ever separate me 
    from the Father's love revealed in you,
        Lord Jesus, my Lord and my God!

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
I love searching for music to include with Night Prayer,
especially when my efforts lead me to a piece as beautiful
as tonight's selection.  The lyrics and melody of Farren's 
simple hymn are artistically arranged by Stutzman and
impeccably sung by the Laudate Mennonite Ensemble. 


Yet Not I But Through Christ In Me by Michael Farren 
    performed by Laudate Mennonite Ensemble
        arranged by Lyle Stutzman

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
Yet not I, but Christ in me
Yet not I, but Christ in me
 
What gift of grace is Jesus my redeemerThere is no more for heaven now to giveHe is my joy, my righteousness, and freedomMy steadfast love, my deep and boundless peace
 
To this I hold, my hope is only JesusFor my life is wholly bound to HisOh how strange and divine, I can sing, "All is mine"Yet not I, but through Christ in me
 
The night is dark but I am not forsakenFor by my side, the Savior He will stayI labor on in weakness and rejoicingFor in my need, His power is displayed
 
To this I hold, my Shepherd will defend meThrough the deepest valley He will leadOh the night has been won, and I shall overcomeYet not I, but through Christ in me
 
No fate I dread, I know I am forgivenThe future sure, the price it has been paidFor Jesus bled and suffered for my pardonAnd He was raised to overthrow the grave
 
To this I hold, my sin has been defeatedJesus now and ever is my pleaOh the chains are released, I can sing, "I am free"Yet not I, but through Christ in me
 
With every breath I long to follow JesusFor He has said that He will bring me homeAnd day by day I know He will renew meUntil I stand with joy before the throne
 
To this I hold, my hope is only JesusAll the glory evermore to HimWhen the race is complete, still my lips shall repeatYet not I, but through Christ in me
 When the race is complete, still my lips shall repeatYet not I, but through Christ in meYet not I, but through Christ in meYet not I, but Christ in meYet not I, but Christ in me
Yet not I, but through Christ in me,
Christ in me 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!