2/8/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 2/8



Fr. Matthew Bartow, MFVA wrote these challenging words on his Facebook page:
Try to think of the person you think is most deserving of Hell. It could be someone you know personally, a historical figure, a politician, a celebrity, anyone. Then imagine standing before God and seeing Him show mercy towards this person and watching as they enter the kingdom of heaven. If we cannot imagine ourselves rejoicing to see this person’s salvation or if we even become angry at the thought that this person has been saved, then perhaps our hearts are still in need of conversion. The salvation of every single person is a default Christian position and we should take delight in seeing every one saved and not longing for their condemnation.
Lord, it's hard for me to name 
    the person I think is most deserving of Hell,
but I don't have much trouble
    naming my enemies;
    naming those I find it difficult,
        even impossible, to forgive;
    naming those in whom I find
        few or no redeeming qualities;
    naming those in whom I struggle to find
        the divine image and likeness
            in which we're all created;
    naming those whose redemption
        stretches my spiritual imagination
            to the breaking point...
 
I'm fairly certain, Lord,
    that my heart is in need of conversion,
that my heart needs to turn
    with mercy, not judgment
    with compassion, not accusation,
    with kindness, not resentment,
    with hope, not dismissal,
    with concern, not animosity
to the very ones I find hardest
    to reach out to and care for,
    to welcome and accept, 
    to pray for and bless,
    to include and embrace,
    to pardon and forgive,
    to count as my neighbor,
    to serve, to respect and to love...
 
Yes, Lord,
    my heart is in need of conversion...
 
Open, touch and heal my heart
    of  animosity, jealousy, envy and pride,
    of prejudice, bias, enmity and scorn,
    of bitterness, contempt, ill will and disgust,
    of loathing, revenge, hostility and hate...

O Lord, my God,
    conform my will to yours,
    ready my life for your scrutiny, 
    cleanse my mind of unholy thoughts,
    prepare my soul for your judgment,
    humble my heart in the light of your truth
    and grant me mercy far beyond
        what I merit, have claim to, 
            have earned or deserved...

Lord,forgive me my trespasses
    as I forgive those 
        who trespass against me...
 
Humble me with your mercy, Lord,
    and open my heart to rejoice
in the mercy you show to others,
    the mercy I need and for which I pray...
        
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
This is my first encounter with music by Daniel Greig but I suspect I'll be drawing from other of his compositions soon.  A beautiful choral hymn whose lyrics pair so well with the song.

Open Wide the Door of Mercy  by Daniel Greig

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
 Open wide the door of mercy
 let all be welcomed in
 Let compassion love and healing,
 the work of Christ, begin
 
 Open wide the door of mercy,
 let all division end
 May we be a door of mercy
 until he comes again
 
 All who enter in the threshold,
 longing for release,
 will know of their redemption,
 receive his gentle peace
 
 Come all those who feel unworthy,
 those who’ve been betrayed,
 receive the gift of mercy,
 do not be afraid

Chorus

 All who linger in the shadows,
 full of doubt and shame,
 pass now through the doorway
 and call upon his name
 
 Come all those who feel forgotten,
 those weighed down by sin
 receive the gift of mercy,
 be restored again

Chorus

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!