8/25/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 8/25



On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from an element of the day's liturgy. This evening's prayer comes from the Joshua's question in the first reading and Jesus' question in the gospel:  Whom will you serve?  Whom will you follow?
 
From my homily: Discerning answers to these questions is complicated by the fact that the people we serve often become the people we follow - and the people we follow usually become the people we serve...

I want to serve you, Lord!
But I know how many other masters 
    take up my time,
    determine my schedule,
    hold my attention,
    shape my priorities,
    drain my energy,
    sidetrack my initiative,
    dull my creativity
    and own me in ways
    I only want to belong to you...
 
And I want to follow you, Lord!
But instead I follow those who lead my steps
    down one way streets
        or 'round in circles;
    through forests thick
        with fear and danger;
    down dead end roads
        and blind alleys;
    through rough patches
        and complex mazes;
    down paths where I get lost
      when I fail to follow you...

Turn my heart to follow you, Lord,
    and show me how to serve you
        in my thoughts and words and deeds;
    be the master of my energy,
        my efforts and desires...
 
Lead my heart to follow your path
    and my steps to follow closely
        on the way you've mapped for me;
    lead me gently, Lord, and guide me
        'til I find my peace in you...
      
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Two songs tonight, the first in response to the question, "Whom will you serve?" and the second to the question, "Whom will you follow?"
 
The Servant Song by Richard Gillard
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
 
 
Lead Me, Guide Me by Monica Brown
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!