8/29/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 8/29


The gift of prudence inclines my mind and heart
 to discern what’s truly good in every circumstance
 and to choose the right means of achieving it.
 
The word prudent comes from two Latin words
 PRO- VIDERE
 which means: to see before, to look ahead.
 
To be prudent 
is to be capable of exercising sound judgment
 in practical matters...
 
It sounds simple, Lord - almost too simple!
 “Making good choices in practical matters…”
 But then why do I so often act rashly,
  impulsively, thoughtlessly, carelessly 
     -   imprudently?
 
I think it’s because I don’t look ahead, Lord.
 I fail to look at the whole picture - the bigger picture.
 I don’t take the long view.
 
Instead, I look only at what’s at hand,
my immediate situation:
 what I want now
 what will satisfy me now
 what I think I need now
and at the same time
 I fail to take account of
 my long-term responsibilities,
 my responsibility for others
 and what my wants and needs will be
    tomorrow, next week, next year…
 
Prudence is born of common sense, Lord,
  and of good judgement, and thoughtfulness;
 prudence comes when I think before I act,
   when I think through the consequences of my actions,
   when I pay attention to what I know to be true,
   when I study and read your word,
   when I listen to my conscience,
   when I desire to act with integrity,
   when I’m humble enough to recognize
      that it’s never “all about me…”
   when I stop and pray
     and ask you for the grace, the help, to be prudent…
 
And prudence is mine, Lord:
 when I want to see as you see,
 when I want to choose as you’d have me choose,
 when I want to speak as you’d have me speak,
 when I want to do what you’d have me do…
 when I believe that your way
 is - always - better, smarter, wiser than mine…
 
So I pray tonight as Solomon prayed:
 Lord, give me, a wise and prudent heart…
 tilt my heart in your direction,
 shift my heart when it's set in its ways,
 turn my heart toward those in need,
 mold my heart to mirror yours,
 stretch my heart to open wider,
 move my heart to welcome all,
 dispose my heart to be forgiving,
 impel my heart to your will
    whatever your will may be...
 
Lord, I pray you give me the prudence I need:
 to open my eyes, my mind and heart
    and to look ahead,
 to take in the long view, the big picture,
 to think before I act,
 to act with awareness
    of all my responsibilities,
 to use my common sense,
 to do as my conscience directs me,
 to hear the word you speak to me,
 to love what you command,
 to seek your truth,
 to follow your Spirit’s guidance,
 to go wherever you lead me,
 to do whatever you ask of me,
 to look ahead with hope in you
 and to see the peace you offer those
    who pray for a prudent heart..
 
Protect us, Lord, while we’re awake
 and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
 and asleep, rest in your peace.  
 
Amen. 
 
It's not easy finding music for prudence - and this piece
might not exactly hit the mark but it comes close: after
all, prudence is "doing the next right thing..."

 
Do The Right Thing by Tim Perry
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
Do the right thing, do the right thingDo it all the time, do it all the timeMake yourself right, never mind 'emDon't you know you're not the only one suffering
 
I see you up again wandering so diligentCrossing your T's as though it weren't irrelevantThey say formality, this is what they really meant:They can be the walk and we can be the pavement
 
Do the right thing, do the right thingDo it all the time, do it all the timeMake yourself right, never mind themDon't you know you're not the only one suffering
 
So what you're up against all the disingenuousThey wave you along and say there's always room for usBut we know better than that to take 'em seriousStill don't let'em make you bitter in the process
 
And when the light is up, this is how oughta beWe'll make it alright, they'll come around eventuallyThey say it's nothing but that ain't the realityThey may take us on but they can never take us easy
 
They ain't moving, they're just moving aroundSo if you love yourself, you better get outGet out, get out, get out now
 
Do the right thing, do the right thing (do the right thing)Do it all the time, do it all the time (do it all the time)Make yourself right, never mind them (do it all the time)Don't you know you're not the only one suffering
 
I hear a higher callingBetter here than there I guessSo long, so long
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

2 comments:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!