10/14/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 10/14


 
As you know, I'm in the hospital for a few days.  A FaceBook friend happened to post these words from Philippians 4:4-7 and they have been part of my prayer while my the medical folks poke me to study my blood. In my heart, these are among the most beautiful, consoling and challenging words in the whole of the scriptures!


I want to rejoice, Lord - always!
I’d so much rather rejoice than weep,
    to be glad in you 
        than sad in my trials and troubles

Yes, I'd like to rejoice always but my soul's desire for joy
    doesn’t always match what my heart can muster
especially when my soul's chock full
        of anxiety, worry, misgivings and fear... 

But I see, when I read more carefully
    that I’m called to rejoice in you,  
        to find my joy in you,
    especially when I find it hard
        to find any joy within myself...

The joy you promise, Lord, 
    the joy you generously offer,
        lies deep in you, outside my trials;
it's the joy that comes when I let go 
   the troubles I hold and cling to,
the joy of taking a step beyond
    to the peace rests, alone, in you...

Visit my heart with the joy that’s yours,
   the joy that only you can give,
        the joy that won't be quelled by fear,
the joy whose source runs deeper by far
    than my deepest wound or grief,
the joy that springs and flows from depths 
    my heart has yet to explore...

Find for me a joy, O Lord, 
    greater than any loss I've known,
deeper than all my worries and fears,
    a muscular joy to strengthen me 
        in my weakness, frail and flawed...

Grant me a joy that survives my moods
    and my roller coaster emotions,
my thin skin and stubborn ego
    my pride and my self-pity...

In the quiet of my prayer tonight, Lord,
   help me see the ways I ward off joy
and prefer instead the company
    of the misery I often befriend...
 
Turn my heart around and up-side-down
    'til it opens to every day's simple joy,
the joy you shower from heaven
    and pour down like rain from your hand...

When my heart is cloudy and dry, Lord,
   plant seeds of sweet joy in my soul
to blossom in times when all my joy
    depends upon you alone...
 
When I lose my hope of finding joy 
   let your Spirit fan its embers to flame
warming my heart to trust anew 
   that while weeping may last 
        through the shadows of night,
     with the morning your joy will return...

I pray for a joy that lasts, Lord:
    a joy that suffers, endures and remains,
 surviving whole, deep and intact
    whatever may come my way...

In this quiet time of night prayer, Lord,
   refresh my desire, my thirst for joy;
help me find my joy in being still,
   the joy of knowing you’re my God
        and will be ever more...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

 
Do Not Be Anxious by Teresa Thomas
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
Do not be anxious about anything
but in every situation by your prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God. 

And the peace of God
which transcends all understanding
shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ
and the peace of god 
which transcends all understanding
shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ 

Do not be anxious about anything
but in every situation by your prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
 
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!