7/21/26

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 7/21

When I saw this T-shirt online, O Lord,
my mind and heart flooded with images,
childhood memories of my backyard
on Hobart Street in Danvers, Mass.
 
 
So many lazy summer nights,
armed with a grass filled mason jar
with Ruth, my sister and Lewis, our friend, 
chasing and catching fireflies:
lightening bugs with a glow to mirror
the moon and the stars up above...
 
We had no worries, no troubles, no cares!
We were deep in July - no homework to do!
 
It was warm, we were barefoot 
- the world was ours -
and the fireflies gave us the courage to face
the night, the darkness and anything else
hiding shrouded and veiled in the shadows...
 
Such innocence, Lord, 
such simple goodness 
untouched by malice, deceit or guile:
a child's sweet soul, alive with joy 
captured as light in a jelly jar
and shining with grace to make the time 
timeless, 
delightful,
divine... 

I can't go back to Hobart Street,
but I'll pray you'll visit me, Lord 
    - tonight -
and fill the jar of my aging soul:
  with childhood's joy, simple and pure;
  with the grace of innocence, long ago lost;
  with light as bright as the heavenly spheres;
  with courage to save me from my fear
    of the night, the darkness and anything else
  that keeps me for trusting, from hoping in you,
    the joy of my youth, my life and this night...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
I spent a long time looking for a piece of music to accompany tonight's prayer - searching phrases like: Christ Our Light and Jesus is the Light and Light of Christ - but I found nothing that fit quite right.  As a last resort I searched Firefly hymn and found TWO pieces! Neither is a hymn but each, in its own way, pairs well with tonight's prayer.  If you have time - please give both songs a listen!  
 
Firefly by Andy Beck 
   performed by Youth Choir Fesitval NW 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 
 
 
 
Firefly, shining in the night.
Firefly, spectacle of light.
Flashing and flickering, oh so bright. 
Firefly, shining in the night. 

Why are you hiding in the light of the day? 
Only igniting when the sun goes away. 
Flashing, flickering. 
Flickering, flashing. 
Flashing, flickering. Firefly.

Firefly, shining in the night.
Firefly, spectacle of light.
Flashing and flickering, oh so bright. 
Firefly, shining in the night.

Why are you hiding till the moon’s in the sky? 
Only igniting when the evening is nigh. 
Flashing, flickering. 
Flickering, flashing. 
Flashing, flickering. 
Firefly.
Firefly. Firefly. Firefly. 
Shining in the night. 
Firefly.

 

Come in From the Firefly Darkness
    by Amy F. Bernon

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
   
 
Open up your door, my friend,
and let me come in,
Come in from the firefly darkness
to hear your stories again.
I have wandered through this land
from end to end.
I've come home through the firefly darkness
to sing with you again.

Sing songs of wonder, sing of life begun,
Of fireflies and full moons over meadows green.
Sing songs of children growing toward the sun,
Like the wild new flowers of the spring.

I've been up in mountain skies
with the elk and the snow
Heard the silence of the prairies,
and watched the wild grass grow.
Road and river beckon me
in voices clear and low,
My path will be lit by fireflies,
so now friend, I must go.

And in the sweetness of the night I will sing,
growing toward the sun,
Sing songs of wonder, songs of life begun,
of fireflies and full moons over meadow greens
Sing songs of children growing toward the sun,
like the wild new lilies of the spring.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!