Jesus appeared in the gardenand revealed himself to Mary Magdalene,
who had loved him in life,
witnessed him dying on the Cross,
sought him as he lay in the tomb,
and was the first to adore him,
newly risen from the dead.
He honored her with the office of being
an apostle to the Apostles,
so that the good news of new life
might reach the ends of the earth...
Mary Magdalene is often imaged with a vial in her hand - reminding us of the spices she carried to Jesus' tomb to anoint his body; and in her other hand - a red egg! The
story was told that Mary went to Rome to preach the Risen Christ to
Tiberius Caesar. During her audience she held up an egg to explain the
Resurrection. Caesar laughed, telling her that one had as much chance of
resurrection as the egg in her hand turning red. Whereupon, the egg turned red! Some credit this story as the source for why eggs are colored at Easter.
Night Prayer...
O Saint Mary Magdalene,
When others ran and fled in fear, you stood firm in your faith; while others hid behind closed doors you journeyed to the tomb. Though sorrow filled your grieving heart, your love gave you the strength to face your grief - and through your tears - to meet your risen Lord...
You knew him when he called your name, his voice spoke to your heart. You reached for him, he sent you forth to preach with paschal joy the good news of his rising, his mercy and his peace...
Help me listen for his voice, let me hear him call my name; may I be as bold as you when he sends me out to share the message of his rising, the mercy of his mission and the peace he came to make...
Amen.
Mary Magdalene went to the tomb still grieving the loss of her beloved friend who died on "the darkest day of her life..." In facing and moving through her grief, she found the joy that Easter brings... There's something in this song for everyone...
Joy In The Light by Joyce Johnson Rouse
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
There is joy in the light of this morning
since I came to Jesus' tomb
where an angel standing before me
said "he lives" for me and you.
Yesterday was the darkest of my life
for I loved my Jesus so.
But, there is joy in the light of this morning.
He is risen, this I know.
There is joy in the light of this morning
as the flowers catch the dew
and I see in a new day dawning
that his words have now come true!
I believed every thing that my Lord said
but this one promise I had forgot.
There is joy in the light of this morning
there is healing in my heart.
They say the night is darkest just before the dawn
I came in darkness grieving, but now my grief is gone.
And there is joy in the light of this morning
though, I had cried all night.
In my heart i can feel the beginning
of a new and different life.
I must go now and tell the others
all who love to speak his name
that here is joy in the light of this morning
and I will never ever be the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!