I want to let you know that in a few months I’ll be moving. My 5 years at Good Shepherd Parish in Wayland have been very good and I’m grateful to the people and the two pastors with whom I served there for their warm welcome of me as a senior priest in residence. I knew when I arrived in Wayland that, God willing, it would not be the last time that I’d unpack and settle into new quarters. Now, after much prayer and reflection, I believe it’s time to make what will likely be my last move -- not to worry! -- I’m in good health and I hope to live in my new digs for many years to come!
I’ll be moving just a little bit east - to downtown Boston, to the archdiocesan residence for retired priests. My new home will be Regina Cleri (Latin for Queen of the Clergy) which is located on Cardinal O’Connell Way, just behind Mass. General Hospital.
Regina Cleri is home to more than 60 priests. I know many of them (some better than others) and several of my ordination classmates are already living there. At my new place I’m choosing a medium size suite which includes a study, bedroom and a full bath. This is more expensive than a small suite (yes, I will be paying rent) but the medium size is more comfortable and comes with one of the balconies you see in the photo above. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served daily in the dining room. (I’ve had lunch and dinner there and the food is excellent!) Also included are weekly housekeeping and laundry service, as well as phone/WIFI/cable. While my rooms will be furnished, I’m free to bring any of my own furniture with me. (My recliner will definitely be coming with me!)
My new home will be within a 10-15 minute walk to the Esplanade, Starbucks, Government Center, the State House, Quincy Market, the North End Downtown Crossing, North Station and the various transit lines. And a parking space for my car!
While I hope what I've written thus far answers most of the questions you might have, you might still be wondering, “Why? Why now?” I’m pleased to respond!
I retired from assigned ministry 5 years ago and I’m very grateful to be in good health and living an independent lifestyle. Still, I know the time will come when I’ll need to depend more on others in my daily life – more than rectory living situations can easily accommodate or provide for. While I still handle stairs quite well (at my own pace and with a bannister!) the days of living on the second floor won’t last forever and yes, Regina Cleri has an elevator! I know, too, that I’ll maintain a much healthier diet when my meals are regularly prepared by folks who will pay more attention to my nutrition than I usually do. I’m in my 80th year and I’ve known for a long time now that while I like to think of myself as still being young in spirit, the rest of me continues to age and slow down.
So I’ll be moving from one independent lifestyle setting to another – with the option of greater care when and as I may need it. I believe this is a wise move to make – and that now’s the time to make it.
Once I’m settled in, I’ll look for a parish where I might help out by presiding and preaching at a Sunday mass. While I have no particular place in mind, I’ll be looking something not too far from downtown Boston.
And yes, of course, I will continue writing my blog!
I hope this gives you a fair picture of what’s ahead for me - and I hope you’ll rejoice with me! I don’t at all feel that I had to make this decision. As I drove away from Regina Cleri after my interview there, I felt a deep certainty that this is the next right thing to do in my life – and that brings me much peace.
When will this happen? I don’t have a definite date but I hope to have moved in by Thanksgiving.
I’m not moving far away – my new home is only a little about 20 miles from where I live now. in. Please pray for me - and join me in thanking God for this great opportunity.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!