![]() |
| Saint Francis by Daniel Bonnell |
On this feast of Saint Francis, here's my gloss on a prayer often attributed to him. Daniel Bonnell's art (used with permission) gives us Francis with a dove of peace and a visual quote from Francis' Canticle of the Sun praising Brother Sun and Sister Moon.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
Where there is hatred, let me sow love...
When politics tempt me to demonize the other side,when my envy delights in workplace intrigue,
when my thoughts walk the edge of anger's path,
when I'm tempted to endorse a violent solution,
when I fail to love as I want to be loved:
teach me to sow the seeds of love
and love others, Lord, as you've loved me...
Where there is injury, pardon...
When my words cut deep and sharp as a knife,
when my idle gossip rips others to shreds,
When my words cut deep and sharp as a knife,
when my idle gossip rips others to shreds,
when my plans and schemes divide and offend,
when my carelessness brings hurt and harm:
teach me, Lord, to pardon and heal
as you have healed and pardoned me...
Where there is despair, hope...
Teach me, Lord,
to hope when I fear all hope is gone,
to trust when suspicion fills my mind,
when my carelessness brings hurt and harm:
teach me, Lord, to pardon and heal
as you have healed and pardoned me...
Where there is despair, hope...
Teach me, Lord,
to hope when I fear all hope is gone,
to trust when suspicion fills my mind,
to endure when I'm weary, tired and spent,
to believe when I'm filled with confusion and doubt:
to believe when I'm filled with confusion and doubt:
teach me to share your truth and my hope
with those who hunger for both...
Where there is darkness, light...
Teach me, Lord,
with those who hunger for both...
Where there is darkness, light...
Teach me, Lord,
to walk by your light when shadows seduce me,
to trust in your light when the world goes dark,
to stand in your light when I'm tempted to hide,
to stand in your light when I'm tempted to hide,
to bathe in your light, in its mercy and grace:
to share the warmth and truth of your light
with any and all who seek it...
Where there is sadness, joy...
Lighten my heart with the gifts of your Spirit,
draw me out of my pouting self-pity,
with any and all who seek it...
Where there is sadness, joy...
Lighten my heart with the gifts of your Spirit,
draw me out of my pouting self-pity,
fill my soul with the peace of your presence,
heal my heartache and free me to share
the gift of your joy, the joy of your grace,
the gift of your joy, the joy of your grace,
the grace of your generous love...
O Divine Master...
Teach me find the peace that comes
in forgiving my brothers and sisters;
help me console my neighbor in grief
no matter how deep my own may be
help me to find the depths of your love
in loving those whose needs are great
Teach me find the peace that comes
in forgiving my brothers and sisters;
help me console my neighbor in grief
no matter how deep my own may be
help me to find the depths of your love
in loving those whose needs are great
and in serving them, Lord, help me discern
the things I myself most need...
Teach me to give from my heart, O Lord
as your heart gives to me;
teach me to pardon my neighbor's faults
as you forgive all of mine;
and deepen my trust, my faith and belief
that in dying to self I rise to new life,
to life forever
and peace in you...
Amen.
the things I myself most need...
Teach me to give from my heart, O Lord
as your heart gives to me;
teach me to pardon my neighbor's faults
as you forgive all of mine;
and deepen my trust, my faith and belief
that in dying to self I rise to new life,
to life forever
and peace in you...
Amen.
Prayer of St Francis by Allen Pote
If videos don't appear below, click here!
And if you're pining for the more familiar version, here it is!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!