12/2/07

Our affectionate and grateful remembrance...


O Come, Emmanuel - boyz ii men

They watch for Christ
who are sensitive, eager, apprehensive in mind,
who are awake, alive, quick-sighted, zealous in honoring him,
who look for him in all that happens
and who would not be surprised,
who would not be over-agitated or overwhelmed,
if they found that he was coming at once...

This then is to watch:
to be detached from what is present
and to live in what is unseen;
to live in the thought of Christ as he came once,
and as he will come again;
to desire his second coming,
from our affectionate and grateful remembrance of his first.

-John Henry Newman

4 comments:

  1. The Boyz ii Men version of this song is exquisite. Thanks for posting it - truly moving with the wind whispering in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about this version is the plaintive, amost desperate cry in the singer's voice. In this version I can hear Israel, I can hear us longing for Emmanuel, God-with-us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the song began, I did not think that I would like it, but by the end I was so moved. Not only do I hear the past, but also the present with the war going on and the lack of peace in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teacher: My experience of the song was the same. I almost cut if off after a few seconds of listening but then found myself drawn into it. There's a mystery to the sound here that I think is vital to the song's purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!