3/9/08

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent


Galleries

In a homily a few years back (2003), I made reference to artist Andy Newman who is also a parishioner here. At the time, Andy's work was being exhibited at Arte Periferica Galleria in Lisbon in a show titled Moving Shadows. I wasn't in Portugal but Andy gave me the exhibit booklet and I was taken not only by the paintings in it but also by the brief introduction he wrote:



Image by Andy Newman


In the paintings of this exhibition, I have sought to explore the contrasts between darkness and light, and to search for the light in darkness that is shadow. Shadow is a place of relativity, in which it is not clear where the light ends and the darkness begins. So, in some paintings, while it is day, patches of absolute darkness apparently exist; in others it is night yet light abounds.
-Andy Newman



Image by Andy Newman

Shadows are tricksters: they play games on us and sometimes frighten us. But what hides in the shadows is revealed in the sunlight and often the light itself is enough to dispel our fear and draw us back into the embrace of warm light and an afternoon's nap. Light abounds in the night as well as the day: moon light, star light and simply the light I bring to the darkness as my eyes befriend and become accustomed to it.

Where is the darkness in the daytime of my soul? Where is the light in the dreams of my dark hours? If the Lord is my light, what fear have I of the dark? Indeed, even if I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil for the Lord is at my side...

In Lent, the light and darkness of seasons' change play with my days and its shadows. Help me, Lord, to "search for the light in darkness that is shadow..." Guide me, Lord, to the light you are, the light no darkness can extinguish...

-ConcordPastor

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful paintings. Another aspect of light and darkness which has always fascinated me is that in a room of complete darkness, you can always spot even the smallest light or flame. But in a room where lightness abounds, a speck of darkness does not have the same effect -- it may even go unnoticed. I like to think of Jesus as the flame -- the light which even when our lives are completely filled with darkness, can still be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment is not related to this post. It's a follow-up question.

    On February 27th you posted information from the PEW study along with statistics from the RCAB from 1998 and 2007. You said you would be commenting on them. I'm looking forward to your comments. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post has inspired me! This is huge because I have not felt inspired or motivated in a long time. I guess you could say I was lost in the dark...
    I am a teacher of very young children and one time, awhile ago, I had brought in a flashlight and turned off the lights and the kids were so interested in watching the light "dance" around the room and shine on familiar objects. I am going to bring my flashlight to work tomorrow and I am already working on a list of activities we could do with shadows and light and dark. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall a lyric, said to be by Galileo, that in translation is something like this:

    Though my soul may set in darkness

    It will rise in perfect light.

    I have loved the stars too fondly

    To be fearful of the night.

    There is a beautiful melody to this, too, perhaps by Schubert (how the mind loses things), but this sentiment is brought to mind by Fr. Fleming's reflections and by the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these paintings! And I think I'm going to use your light/dark reflections as a prayer in class tomorrow...thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!