4/11/08

What's a sheepfold?


Image by EssJay in NZ (Click on image for a wonderful larger version!)

Ya gotta love 'em, right?

Who wouldn't?

Well, that's just what God thinks when looking at us! I can hear the Lord turning to those who are already in the sheepfold of heaven and pointing at us, you and me, and saying to those around him, Ya gotta love 'em, right? Who wouldn't?

Of us, his sheep, Jesus says,
I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
-John 10:14-16

The Lord, Jesus, is our shepherd:
he knows us...
we know him...
he loves us...
he lays down his life for us,
for all of us...

Take a look at this Sunday's scriptures and some background on those texts (kids look here) as you prepare to worship this Sunday. The Shepherd knows us... reading his Word is a great way for us to get to know the Shepherd...

Oh, about that sheepfold! Here's what a sheepfold looks like:


Image by Geograph

Note the gate or rather, the missing gate.

Now, there's an image to keep in mind for this week's homily...



-ConcordPastor

3 comments:

  1. What adorable faces those sheep have! Wish I had the innocent wonder and trust conveyed in their gentle gazes. On PBS New Hampshire I often watch a program called "All Creatures Great and Small," based on Harriot's book. It is about three veterinarians (two of whom are single brothers and the other their married colleague) who share a practice and household in a rural part of England (Scotland?) The photo of your sheepfold reminds me of many of the bucolic scenes in this delightful old-fashioned program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. while none of us may be as innocent or gentle and trusting as the sheep here, when God looks at us he still says, "Ya gotta love 'em, right?"

    The Lord did not lay down his life for us on the Cross because we are innocent or trusting, but only because he loves us, even in our sins...

    This is a truth of our faith that many Christians have a VERY difficult time accepting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the images. Thats' the beauty of Jesus' death for us.....

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!