7/5/09

My Fourth of July moment...



I didn't get to any parades. I didn't see any fireworks. I didn't go to a cookout. But I had a wonderful moment of Fourth of July Americana just before our 8:00 Mass this morning.

As a prelude, Jim and Carol from our music ministry played Variations on a Shaker Melody from Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland. The piece was arranged for four hands at the piano by Bennet Lerner.

In the quiet of the church, early in the day, with a much longed-for sun finally showing in the sky, this piece was pure delight, beautifully played and reached a place deep in my soul.

I couldn't find the four-hands piano arrangement to offer you here but on the widget you can hear the orchestral version. Enjoy!

Oh, and I should add that at the same liturgy, the instrumental at the preparation of the altar was an arrangement of What a Friend We Have in Jesus for piano and trumpet: mellow and prayerful, with a soft jazz sound and most welcome after today's gospel reading from Mark.

-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

  1. Went to a friend's for a July 4th party. She lives in a condo in Watertown that overlooks the Charles River. After watching the Boston Pops Concert (Aaron Copeland was a part of it, as was Neil Diamond!) while enjoying a lovely dinner that ended with strawberry shortcake and/or blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream, we all (about 15 of us) went out on my friend's balcony to watch the fireworks display on the Esplanade. I thought this year's fireworks were the best I have ever seen. Absolutely sensational! I had been away the last couple of years over the 4th of July. It was fun to be able to celebrate again with friends Boston's nonpareil salute to our Independence.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... Wow, that sounds great. Having visited your church and seen/heard that piano, I am sure this was beautiful.

    As someone who has a "thing" (read: not happy with) patriotic music in church on civic holidays, I would delight in what you heard!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!