5/19/10

Pentecost 2010 Novena - Day 6


Image source: ICCNLR

The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you'll find a post with scripture and prayer for the day. There's a widget at the top of the sidebar with 17 musical selections for this Pentecost novena. (If you are just joining us, find the Novena series to date by clicking on the link at the top of the side bar.)


Pentecost Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 6

From scripture:
At Miletus, Paul spoke to the presbyters of the Church of Ephesus:
“Keep watch over yourselves and over the whole flock
of which the Holy Spirit has appointed you overseers,
in which you tend the Church of God
that he acquired with his own Blood.
I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you,
and they will not spare the flock.
And from your own group,
men will come forward perverting the truth
to draw the disciples away after them.
So be vigilant and remember that for three years, night and day,
I unceasingly admonished each of you with tears.
And now I commend you to God
and to that gracious word of his that can build you up
and give you the inheritance among all who are consecrated.
I have never wanted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.
You know well that these very hands
have served my needs and my companions.
In every way I have shown you that by hard work of that sort
we must help the weak,
and keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said,
‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Acts 20:28-38

For reflection...
• Do I read, listen to and ponder
that gracious word of God that has power
to strengthen, encourage and build me up?

• When the Spirit prompts me to serve the needs of others
before caring for my own needs, am I generous in my response?

• When I'm quick to judge those who have failed and harmed
the flock entrusted to their care
do I reach out like a good shepherd
to those entrusted to my care?

• Do I pray for those who have been abused by our shepherds?
Do I pray for the shepherds in need of God's mercy
and for those in need of God's wisdom and strength?

• What shall I pray for the Church today?

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence... For which of the Spirit's gifts will I pray today?

• Choose one of the songs from the top of the sidebar and make it part of today's prayer...


Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit of God!
Purify the hearts of shepherds
and the hearts of us all
and consecrate them anew
for the care of your flock...

Come, Spirit of mercy:
bind up, heal, mend, make whole
the souls, the hearts the memories, the lives
of those who were wounded in their innocence...

With the truth of the Word,
be the Spirit breathing within and among us;
speak tenderly to the heart of the Church
and help us to hear the Word
that saves and heals...

Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your people
and kindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
and you will renew the face of the earth.

Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be...


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!