12/26/10

Evening Prayer on a Snowy Day

Photo: Jeff Holmes

Good evening, good God!

So busy are we
about so many trivial things...
Perhaps that's why
you spent the late afternoon
blanketing us with snow,
slowing our steps,
hitting our pause button
and grinding the traffic of our business
to a halt.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I needed that, Lord.
I needed to be inconvenienced,
interrupted, slowed down
- stopped -
by the pure, soft beauty
of your presence,
settling gently, flake by flake;
dressing me and my world
in a garment of pure grace...

Let your snow fall upon my upturned face, Lord:
as a child catches snow flakes on the tongue
let me taste the sweetness of your advent...

Am I too old, Lord,
for making angels in the snow?
Then send a snowy angel
to make of me
what you will...

Even as the snow chills my limbs
let your touch melt my heart
and draw me inside
to where the fire of your love
burns for me always,
crackling, bright and warm...

Remind me, Lord,
of those who are burdened by the weather
and empty my purse and pockets
in support of those who serve and shelter them...

Later, Lord,
the snow will slow and stop
and our pace will quicken once again...


Even then, keep us mindful of these moments
when the blanket of your presence
stills and warms our hearts
close to you.

Amen.

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

3 comments:

  1. oh, you (and everyone) are never too old to make snow angels (and, just for the record, you are not old)-

    thank you for this-

    your words are beautiful and perfect for this Advent and Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that you are warm inside and the blizzards are not enveloping you.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I thank you, Lord for giving me the opportunity to finish that good book.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!