2/17/13

My hands in Lent


Image source: ReasonsWhy



As you sit, reading these words, open your own hands before you...

Open hands image well the three ancient exercises of Lent: prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

Opening my hands, palms up, gestures openness to what God might offer me in prayer..Lifiting up my hands in prayer is a sign of praise... With open hands I receive the Body and Blood of Christ in the prayer of the Eucharist...

Hands emptied of food and drink (or lots of other stuff!) are the hands of one who fasts, who sacrifices, one who gives up and gives away... these are hands emptied of tangible nourishment in the hope of feeding the heart's deeper hungers... my empty hands wait to be filled with what the Lord may offer me...

Hands reaching out are helping hands, ready to serve the needs of neighbors, particularly the needs of the poor...  Hands emptied of things I cling to are hands ready to give away so much that I have that's more than I need...

Empty, open, outstretched hands are the hands of a beggar...
and before my God, I'm a beggar...
before my God, I open my hands
and seek the peace that only God can give...

Lent is a time for my hands to be:
lifted in prayer,
emptied to be filled,
reaching out to help...

Are these my hands this
Lent?



 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!