5/11/15

Monday Morning Offering: 5/11

Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

I woke one morning to the song 
of birds chirping in my backyard
and I wondered,
"When did they come back?"

And one day, leaving home,
I noticed the hedge along my driveway
sporting bright green buds
- and I knew they hadn't sprouted overnight...

By just a few minutes a day
each day's growing longer,
the sun's light stretching,
holding off the shades of night...

Slowly, gradually, persistently
spring's made its way into my life:
its presence felt, heard, seen and smelled,
a little more each day,
until the season's taste begins
to whet my appetite for summer...

And just so, Lord, you make your way into my life,
slowly, gradually, persistently,
making your presence known
as a bird calling in the morning,
as colors catching my eye,
as light quietly granting me
the gift of longer days...

As I savor the gifts of spring
let me hear your voice as soon as I awake...
let me see your brush strokes along my path...
let me find your warmth and light
evening my days into night,
in peace...

Sharpen my senses, Lord, 
heighten my awareness and sensitize me
to your growing, hidden presence
sounding, blooming, shining in my soul
like springtime rising up in my backyard...

Come into my life, Lord, into my heart:
come slowly, gradually, persistently,
as surely as the spring comes in
with summer sure to follow...

And with your grace, Lord,
help me walk gently
with all whose paths cross mine...

Good God of Monday mornings,
be with me 'til the night falls
and through every day this week...

Amen.

(Spend some time listening to Copland's beautiful
"Appalalchian Spring" as it draws you in
slowly, gradually, persistently...)



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!