9/25/18

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 9/25



A few nights ago, Lord,
I had dinner with a friend I haven't seen in a long time.

We had a very good evening.

Some things between us have changed
(even changed a lot)
but other things have stayed the same
so we slipped into a comfortable
oh-so-welcome familiarity,
like slipping at the end of day
into my old, worn, blue bedroom slippers...

In the more important ways
my friend and I picked up where we'd left off,
filling in the gaps and blanks
as we connected once again...

You're my old friend, too, Lord,
from whom, from time to time, I drift away
and when I do, some things change
(even change a lot)
while others stay the same
and when, at last, I return
we slip into that comfortable,
oh-so-welcome familiarity
that only your understanding and your mercy,
only your love for me
can offer and provide...

In the most important ways, Lord,
you and I pick up where I left off,
filling in the gaps and blanks as we go,
as I let go what kept me from your side
and cling again to what, for much too long,
I'd lost and sorely missed...

Your love is always greater
than my foolish, failing ways
and you wait in faithful vigil
'til at last I come around...

In the most important ways, Lord
you and I pick up where I left off
and for this I give you thanks and praise,
my oldest, dearest friend...

Amen.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!