11/27/18

Day 3 on retreat: Wednesday

Used with Permission: Father's Embrace by Ruth Councell

So, we've spent the last two days "on retreat," sitting quietly in God's presence, praying to open ourselves to God looking on each of us with love. Yesterday we invited God to envelop, cover, overshadow, fill, overwhelm, engulf, anoint, caress, hold, melt, inebriate, infuse, bathe, surround, grip, embrace, feed, and touch us with his love.

Today we'll spend some more time engaging with God's love for each of us.  I'm offering you a prayer here that I wrote 18 years ago - while on retreat right where I am this week at Eastern Point in Gloucester.  I've reposted this prayer over the years so some of you may be familiar with it.  These words rise from a place in my heart that grows deeper on retreat every year - for which I'm very grateful!  

In a nutshell, my annual retreat is an exercise in learning again, over and over, how much I am loved by God.  Like you, I can easily forget or deny or ignore God's love in my life - my retreat helps me find again what it seems I can so easily forget and lose sight of. Perhaps this prayer will help you, too.  In addition to the words of my prayer, you might also pray with the image above, the art of Ruth Councell. 

So...  find or make some time
to sit in a quiet place,
maybe you'll light a candle,
then remember you're in God's presence -
and pray...




Used with Permission: Father's Embrace by Ruth Councell


Embrace
You enfold me, entwine and embrace me.
You handle me, hold me and hide me.
You wrestle me, welcome and want me.

Your chin by my ear, your hand in my hair,
your arm 'round my back, my arms rounding you,
my face on your chest: I'm held in your warmth.

Your eyes keep close watch, mine close in deep peace.
Your fingers stroke softly my head's numbered strands.
Your grip is a gift, your grasp saving grace.

You whisper, 
"You're mine, I call you by name:
you're found and forgiven, brought home and beloved."

I breathe, 
"Yes, I am, shaped and healed by your hand.
You call me by name: I am yours, you are mine."

Amen.




   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!