6/26/19

Pause for Prayer: THURSDAY 6/27


Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

I believe you listen when I pray, Lord:
that your heart hears my heart
- even when my heart is silent...

I believe you even love the prayer
of just my "showing up" -
the prayer of every time my heart,
my imagination and my attention turn
- if only for seconds -
to you, always by my side...

Especially in these moments, Lord,
I'm grateful for the ways you catch my glance,
my momentary nod in your direction,
my heart's secret wink to let you know
you're on my mind,
I'm glad you're near,
I want you by my side...

It's not the hour, nor the schedule,
nor my need, much less my idea,
but the power of your Spirit, Lord,
that draws me to prayer...

Every prayer of mine
is at the Spirit's prompting,
the Spirit's stirring, moving,
urging me to pray...

And there's not a moment of any day or night
when your Spirit isn't nudging me
to make some time,
to find a quiet place,
to sit with you in prayer...

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

I'm grateful, Lord, that you never tire
of hearing my tales of woe,
of wiping away my tears,
of listening again and again
even when I can't find the words to speak
what I truly want to say
and really need to pray...

I know there's not a thought I have
that comes as news to you...

I know there's not a word I pray
you didn't expect to hear...

I know you hear my wordless prayer
when I can't make a sound...

And yet you never turn away
in boredom or frustration,
but rather you bend, always and ever closer,
to hear my every plea...

There are, of course, plenty of times
when I wish you'd sit a little closer,
put your arm 'round my shoulder just a little tighter
and speak above a whisper 
- but -
I believe in your presence,
I trust that you're there,
that you hear every word I say
including the words that echo in my heart
but never make it to my lips...

I trust that you hear my prayer, Lord,
even when it's stumbling, awkward,
distracted, selfish, rote, unmindful and disjointed

No prayer of mine
escapes your ear, your heart, your love...

Help me, in my prayer, Lord...

Help me keep things simple when I pray:
keep my mind and heart attuned,
focused on you...

Even as I bring you my own needs,
remind me to bring the needs of others, too...

And when my prayer's not nice and neat
(which is just about most of the time)
receive and accept the jumbled mess it is, Lord,
and know  it comes from one who wants
to be at peace with you...

Help me understand your answer to my prayer, Lord,
especially when the answer is no, 
or "not now,"
or slow in coming
or when your only response, for the moment,
is silence...

Help me never be afraid to share with you
whatever's on my mind and in my heart...

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

Keep me mindful of your presence, Lord,
and let your Spirit make peaceful
the time I spend with you...

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

Amen.

 



   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!