10/27/19

Monday Morning Offering: 10/28


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

St. Paul’s words at Mass* this weekend
have lodged in my heart and prayer, Lord:
I have competed well,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith…
I wonder...
at the end of my days
when, like Paul, “my departure is at hand”  -
will I be able to speak as boldly?

It's likely that the real test, the real predictor
for my last days
is how well I can speak with Paul's confidence  
now, in the day at hand...

How am I doing, Lord?

Do I compete well in the daily struggles
playing out in my life?
And how about when I struggle
between your ways and mine, Lord?
When my desires pull me in one direction
and your desire for me pulls in another
- who wins?
And more importantly,
when my desires rule the day
- what do I lose?
I offer you the contests of my life, Lord,
and ask you to be my coach, my captain,
my trainer and my referee…
Do I stay in the race, Lord?
Do I keep a consistent, steady pace on my rough roads
or do I lag behind,
failing to accept the strength and encouragement
you never fail to offer me?

Do I keep my eye on the finish line,
on the prize that awaits me:
the crown of your victory
sized for my brow?
I offer you the race, Lord,
and pray you’ll pace me with your grace
in the lane you’ve marked out for me…
Do I keep the faith, Lord?
Do I hold fast to you, trust you, lean on you -
in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health,
in season and out of season,
when convenient and when inconvenient?

Do I stand firm when troubles shake me,
trusting the faith that’s brought me safe thus far
to bring me home to you,
when “my departure is at hand?”
I offer you my mornings, days and evenings, Lord
and pray you’ll strengthen my faith
and deepen my trust in you and your love for me…
In times of defeat, Lord, be my strength,
in times of victory be my joy,
in all times be the champion of my heart…

Amen.

*Beloved:
I am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have competed well; I have finished the race;
I have kept the faith.
From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me,
which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day, and not only to me,
but to all who have longed for his appearance...
The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat
and will bring me safe to his heavenly kingdom.
To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.



 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!