9/16/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 9/16


What a wonderful gift I received today, Lord - a letter!
Not an email, not a text - not a form letter -
but an actual personal letter 
from a friend of many years, who lives nearby, 
whom I'm still in touch with
but who took the time to write me a letter...

And the occasion?
He wrote to remember and thank me 
for how I helped him some ten years ago:
a kind of anniversary note,
a celebration of friendship and of love...

I'm glad you can read my heart and thoughts, Lord,
because I'm not sure how to put into words
my gratitude for my friend's thoughtfulness:
   his letter said it better than any words of mine...

I bring this to prayer this evening, Lord, 
because I'm remembering the gift of your love for me:
   freely given, unconditional,
   faithful and abiding,
   merciful and undeserved.
You have loved me with an everlasting love, Lord:
   you call me by name,
   I am yours and you are mine...

You offer and speak your love for me
every moment of every day
and through the dark of every night:
there's no end to your faithful love for me...

Let my prayer, then, tonight, Lord,
be my letter of gratitude to you
for all the ways you've helped me
over more than seven decades:
   all the help I remember,
   the help I've forgotten,
   the help I didn't notice,
   the help I put off
   and the help I didn't understand...

I have so much to be grateful for:
   you have loved me with an everlasting love,
   you call me by name,
   I am yours, Lord, and you are mine...

Protect me, Lord, as I lie awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for your help
and asleep, rest in the peace you offer me...

Amen. 

I Have Loved You by Michael Joncas
        sung by Chris Brunelle
 


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!