10/3/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 10/3

 
Tomorrow is the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi
and I'm reflecting on this brief exchange attributed to him:

I spoke to my friend, an old squirrel
about the sacraments - 
he got so excited
and ran to a hollow in his tree and came back holding
some acorns, an owl feather and a ribbon he had found
and I just smiled and said,
"Yes, you understand: everything imparts his grace."


Lord, help me find
    the "acorns, feathers and ribbons"
revealing you and your grace in my life...     

Make me grateful for the smallest ways
    you show your face,
    touch my heart
    and leave small traces of your grace
        along my path...
Let me find my joy in simple gifts:
    in autumn leaves and breezes,
    in October's harvest moon,
    in apples, squash and pumpkins,
    in fall's warm afternoons, 
    in the lacy coat of early frost,
    in walking 'neath the stars,
    in all the sacraments 
        this given season brings...

Help me treasure all the ways
the world around me shows your hand,
imparting grace in outward signs
in nature's sacramental touch...

Protect me as I lie awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you, Lord,
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Look At the World by John Rutter



1) Look at the world: everything all around us
look at the world: and marvel everyday
look at the world: so many joys and wonders
So many miracles along our way!

Praise to thee O Lord for all creation
give us thankful hearts that we may see
all the gifts we share and every blessing
all things come of thee!

2) Look at the earth: bringing forth fruit and flower
look at the sky: the sunshine and the rain
Look at the hills, look at the trees and mountains,
Valley and flowing river field and plain!

3) Think of the spring, think of the warmth of summer
Bringing the harvest before the winters cold
Everything grows, everything has a season
Til' it is gathered to the Fathers fold!

4) Every good gift, all that we need and cherish
Comes from the Lord in token of his love
We are his hands, stewards of all his bounty
His is the earth and his the heavens above!

 
  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!