1/13/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 1/13

 
I'm working on Sunday's homily, Lord,
and the gospel where Jesus asks Andrew,
What are you looking for?
 
Great question, Lord!
In fact, that might be the question 
of anyone's/everyone's life...
 
What am I looking for? What do I want?
And whom do I seek and desire, Lord?
 
A teenager might ask these questions
or a young adult or someone in middle age
or even, maybe, someone who's getting near 74...
 
I know I've asked these questions, Lord,
again and again and again -
and I haven't yet got all the answers 
- or is it just that some answers
change, morph and (hopefully) mature
as life and years and time go by... 

One thing I'm sure of:
these questions are worth asking
(and asking again and again and again)
if only to deepen the response I make:
What am I looking for? What do I want?
What do I seek and desire, Lord?

These are good winter questions, Lord:
things to consider on long cold nights 
or while snow quietly blankets the earth,
leaving a soft sprawling carpet, a natural prayer rug 
for my heart's reflection and musing... 
 
Thanks for asking the question again, Lord!
Keep those questions quick in my heart,
alive in my prayer, no matter how old I grow... 

Give me wisdom and patience to find some answers,
again and again and again...

And more and more, Lord,
may life with you be all the I seek
and may you and your love be all I desire...

Protect me, Lord, while I lie awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Only This I Want by Dan Schutte
                                        performed by Chris Brunelle


Refrain:
    Only this I want:
    but to know the Lord,
    and to bear his cross,
    so to wear the crown he wore.

1. All but this is loss,
worthless refuse to me,
for to gain the Lord
is to gain all I need.

2. I will run the race;
I will fight the good fight,
so to win the prize
of the kingdom of my Lord.

3. Let your heart be glad,
always glad in the Lord,
so to shine like stars
in the darkness of the night.

 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!