4/2/21

Reflection for Good Friday

Paschal moon: photo by Mark Hoggard

 
Jesus went out with his disciples
   across the Kidron valley to where there was a garden, 
   into which he and his disciples entered.
Judas, his betrayer, also knew the place,
   because Jesus had often met there with his disciples.
So Judas got a band of soldiers and guards
   and went there with lanterns, torches, and weapons...
(John 18)
 
Do not go into the garden,
Oh! Jesus,
do not go into the garden before dawn!

But if I do not go into the garden in the dead of night,
who will lead you to the sunrise of Paradise?
I will go into the garden in the dead of night.
Do not let them bind your hands,
Oh! Jesus,
do not let them bind your hands without a word!
If I do not let them bind my hands like a thief,
who will break open the prisons
in which you languish?

I will let them bind my hands like a thief.
Do not hang on the cross,
Oh! Jesus,
do not hang on the cross 'til you die!
If I do not hang on the cross like a bird,
who will protect you from the flames of hell?

I will hang on the cross like a bird.
Do not let your heart be pierced,
Oh! Jesus,
do not let your heart be pierced by executioners!
If I do not let my heart be pierced like a ripe fruit,
from whom will you drink the blood and water
that will heal you?

I will let my heart be pierced
like a ripe fruit.

Do not go to into the tomb,
Oh! Jesus,
do not go into the tomb that they have dug!
If I do not go into the tomb
like a grain of wheat,
who will lift from your coffins your lifeless bodies?
I will go into the tomb to sleep there.

- The Days of the Lord







     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!