12/14/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 12/14

Isaiah's prophecies are often proclaimed in Advent:
 
   Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down,  
   with the mountains quaking before you,
   while you wrought awesome deeds we could not hope for,
   such as they had not heard of from of old.
   No ear has ever heard, no eye ever seen, any God but you
   doing such deeds for those who wait for him.

      -Isaiah 63:16b-17, 19b; 64:2-3 

I remember how, years ago, my deacon, Gregory Burch, connected this text, with a song from West Side Story. Give a listen to the song with the Isaiah's words in mind and then join in our Night Prayer below...
 

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

 
Could be, who knows?
There's somethin' due any day
I will know right away, soon as it shows
It may come cannonballin' down through the sky
Gleam in its eye, bright as a rose
Who knows? It's only just out of reach
Down the block, on a beach, under a tree
I got a feelin' there's a miracle due
Gonna come true, comin' to me
Could it be? Yes, it could
Somethin's comin', somethin' good, if I can wait
Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is
But it is gonna be great
With a click, with a shock
Phone'll jingle, door'll knock, open the latch
Somethin's comin', don't know when
But it's soon, catch the moon, one-handed catch
Around the corner
Or whistlin' down the river
Come on, deliver to me
Will it be? Yes, it will
Maybe just by holdin' still, it'll be there
Come on, somethin', come on in, don't be shy
Meet a guy, pull up a chair, the air is hummin'
And somethin' great is comin'
Who knows? It's only just out of reach
Down the block, on a beach, maybe tonight
Maybe tonight... 
 
Let us pray...
 
On some days, O God, 
I really do need for you to open up the heavens 
and come cannon-balling down into my life 
with all your power, help and healing!
 
But often, Lord,
it's seems you're just out of reach 
when I want so much to take your hand 
and have you lead me safely 
to wherever you might draw me...
 
In these Advent days, 
help me trust something great is coming,
that you are coming into my life
- indeed that you're already here
with your power, healing, help and grace...
 
Open the heavens, Lord, and come down,
come down into my nights and days
with your gentleness and strength...

Open and enter my heart
to wipe away my tears, dispel all my fears 
and do for me not only what I ask
but even more than I might ever dream
or hope for...
 
I pray
and I wait for you, my God,
I wait for you...

Protect me, Lord while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!