12/21/21

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 12/21

 https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/31/ff/64/31ff6418770e155430571a69d8e7e43b.jpg

On Sunday I posted a prayer
   for those who grieve the loss of a loved one at Christmas time.
But others may be grieving the loss of folks who are still with us:
   the loss of a friend to an argument or misunderstanding,
   the loss of a spouse through separation or divorce,
   the loss of someone you thought was a friend, but...
   the loss of contact with others through social distancing,
   the loss of family relationships through resentments and grudges,
   the loss of a neighbor who's moved away,
   the loss of of those we've just lost track of,
      friends who've just drifted away...
 
Christmas time brings all those we've lost back to our hearts.
Let's pray that the memories be as comforting as they may be difficult...
 
Dear Lord,
 
You know who they are
   those I loved, and love still,
   who've slipped from my heart's embrace,
   from the union that once was ours,
   from the promises we once made,
   from the neighborhood where we lived,
   from the vows we once held sacred,
   from the friendship we used to enjoy,
   from the embrace we often shared...
 
You  know who they are:
   and you know the place in my heart now empty
   for the loss of someone I loved...
 
This Christmas time I pray you'll come
   to heal my hurt and disappointment,
   to mend my brokenness,
   to fill my emptiness with the fullness
   of your peace and your presence...
 
Where I'm able, help me reach out
   to heal and mend the pain I may have caused...
 
Where I need to, help me open up
   when others offer peace and pardon...  
 
Where there's distance, help me be the first
   to reach across the table or the ocean
   that keeps us from being one again...
 
And where the bond has broken
   beyond remedy or repair,
help me accept the pain that's mine to bear
   and pray for him, for her, for those
   who still hold a place in my heart,
   even if that place be empty...
 
Help me see how 
    missing someone at Christmas 
is remembering 
    how I held and now still hold
       that person in my heart...
 
Help me seek and find the peace
   that only you can give, Lord,
the peace that Christmas offers
   when my heart is most in need...

Amen.

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!