5/17/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 5/17

 
Lord, I lament the deaths of the innocent,
    at the Tops Supermarket in Buffalo.
Ten in number, 
you and those who love them know them by name
and so I'll pray for them by name:
    Roberta A. Drury
    Margus D. Morrison
    Andre Mackneil
    Aaron Salter
    Geraldine Talley
    Celestine Chaney
    Heyward Patterson
    Katherine Massey
    Pearl Young
    Ruth Whitfield
 
I lament their tragic deaths, Lord,
and I lament that we have yet to shape a world,
    a nation or a neighborhood
where mutual respect, acceptance and charity
    have overcome prejudice, racism and hate...
 
I lament the availability of arms and ammunition
    to those who have no need of them
    and in whose hands the lives of all are threatened...

I lament the speech that stokes the fire of hatred
    and spews its ugly lies in defiance of the truth...

I lament whatever in the structures of society
    keeps us from learning, keeps us from acting,
    keeps us from changing what needs to be changed
    until at last there is one nation, under God,
    with liberty and justice for all..
 
I lament our infidelity, Lord,
    to you and to your Word,
    to our faith and to your truth,
    to your promise and our hope
    that we may one day live peace...

I lament our sinfulness, Lord,
    especially our quiet sins
    of silence and inaction,
    of standing by with eyes closed,
    our hearing but with ears closed,
    with knowing but with hearts closed
    to sacrifice, to wisdom and to truth...
 
And I lament, Lord, the possibility
    that lamentation bring us comfort
and cause us once again to think
    that praying is enough...

Hear the plea, the cry, the prayer of my heart,
    hear my voice in lamentation
and give me strength and courage, Lord,
    to live to make a difference...

I lament, Lord, and I pray for
    Roberta,  Margus, Andre, Aaron
    Geraldine, Celestine, Heyward
    Katherine, Pearl and Ruth...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
My Soul Is Thirsting by Michael Joncas
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
My soul is thirsting,
My soul is thirsting,
My soul is thirsting for you,
O Lord my God.


O God, you are my God whom I seek;
O God, you are my God whom I seek;
For you my flesh pines, my soul thirsts
Like the earth, parched, lifeless, without water.

Thus have I gazed toward you
In your holy place
To see your power and your glory.
Your kindness is a greater good than life itself;
My lips shall glorify you.

Thus will I bless you while I live;
Lifting up my hands,
I will call upon your name
As with a banquet
Shall my soul be satisfied,
With exultant lips
My mouth shall praise you.


For you have been my help,
You have been my help
In the shadow of your wings
I shout for joy
My soul clings fast to you
Your right hand holds me firm
In the shadow of your wings
I sing for joy.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

2 comments:

  1. I don't recall your prayer for the victims of the terrorist attack in Waukesha Wisconsin in Nov 2021. The black driver of a van purposely ran down people in a parade killing 6-the youngest being 8 years old and injuring 62. Were you unaware of this racist hate cri.e???

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!