1/1/23

12 Days of Night Prayer for Christmas - 8


 
 
When do the Twelve Days of Christmas begin?   On Christmas Day itself - leading us to TWELFTH NIGHT, the eve of Epiphany, January 6.  Through these dozen days, Night Prayer will focus each evening on one of the many gifts the Christmas season brings us.  Tonight: the gift of mercy after mercy...  No partridges in pear trees here - but you can sing my 12 days to the familiar tune!
 
On the eighth day of Christmas,
the good Lord gave to me:
    Mercy after mercy,
    A New Year beginning,
    Hope for tomorrow,
    - Friends as good as gold -
    Faith in God above,
    Angels sent from heaven,
    Shepherds keeping watch
    And a Child born in Bethlehem town!
 
Of all your gifts, Lord,
    the one I least deserve,
    the one I cannot merit,
    the one I cannot earn
    the gift I need the most
        - is your mercy...

I need it the most
    - because I need it so often!
 
I fail to love as you call me to love
    but in your mercy, 
        you forgive me...

Then I fail again to love as you ask
    and again in your mercy, 
        you pardon my sin...

And then yet again
    I fail to love as you bid me love
and again and again and again,
    you forgive me, Lord,
    you wash me clean,
        as fresh and bright as new fallen snow... 

In the new year ahead make me grateful, Lord
    for the gift of your unending mercy!
Let me never presume on your kindness
    or take your mercy for granted!
 
Make me grateful, Lord,
    that in spite of my foolish and selfish ways,
your mercy waits to welcome me back
    to the warmth of your loving embrace...
 
And send your Spirit to move me to mercy:
    in my words, in my deeds, in my stubborn heart,
        in my attitudes, feelings and thoughts;
    in letting go resentments and grudges  
        and taking steps toward making peace;
    in serving my neighbor, especially the poor,
        and welcoming strangers to feel at home...

May the mercy I share, the mercy I give
    mirror your mercy to me, O Lord:
        restoring and healing,
        sweet and refreshing,
        gentle and calming,
        strong and consoling,
        unfailing and faithful,
        unending and fruitful,
    the mercy that opens my heart to faith,
        my faith to love
            and my love to hope in you...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 
 
Tonight's very simple song is for
     reflecting on God's mercy,
    looking for God's mercy,
    grateful for God's mercy,  
    praying to be more merciful...
            
Lord, In Your Mercy
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

  

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!