12/7/23

Pause for Prayer: THURSDAY 12/7

Image source


Prayer comes when I put on the brakes, Lord,
   when I pull off life's highway, step aside from my schedule,
      make a place to be still, clear some space in my mind
          and, in my heart's chapel, wait:
             I wait for you, Lord...

And the waiting can be the hard part.
I know you're there, by my side - you're not hiding.
But I wait to see you,
   not with my eyes but with my heart...
I wait to hear you,
   not with my ears but in your word...
I wait for your touch,
   not on my skin but on my soul...

I wait for your presence beside me, around me,
   and especially within me;
I wait in the stillness, in the quiet
   where I trust I will find you...

Your presence is a fine mist,
      translucent, spun of the Spirit's breath,
a soft but steady light burning
   in dark corners and the tunnel's end:
only in the stillness, in the quiet will I find you,  Lord,
    you whose presence is so real...

And though I wait to find you, Lord,
   I know that first  - you wait for me...

You wait all day for me to call upon your name...
You wait for me to slow my step and find you by my side...
You wait for me to nod my thoughts in your direction,
   to tip my grateful heart towards you,
      to open my soul's windows to your grace...

You wait for me 
    with help for this day's problems...
You wait for me 
    with mercy for my failings...
You wait for me 
    with healing for my bruises...
You wait for me 
    with peace to ease my sorrow...
You wait for me 
    with light to fill my darkness...
You wait for me 
    with grace to bless my nights...
 
You wait for me 
    to make some time and find a place
      where I might rest 
         and wait for you...
 
Truth be told, Lord, 
    I often come to prayer, not to wait for you
but to wait for you to fix me, mend and heal me,
   to wait for you to answer all my questions 
      solve my problems,
         and give me what I want and pray for...
 
I know you understand when I pray like this
   but I also know your first desire 
      is simply for me to know you,
         and to know your love for me...
 
Your first desire is to reveal yourself
   as the One who's waited for me
      since before all time;
   as the One who waits for me 
      when I'm faithful and when I'm not;
   as the One who waits for me 
      to wait for you...
 
You have loved me since before all time;
   you love me when I'm faithful - and when I'm not;       
   you love me when I pray - and when I don't;
   you love me when I love you - and when I ignore you;
   you love me when I wait for you
      and you love me when take off on my own...
 
You love me, Lord,
    and you desire, you wait for me, to love you in return...
 
You love me while I wait for you
    who wait for me
        with loving, open arms...

Amen.


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!