2/27/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 2/27


 Lord, I can't count the number of times in scripture
   when you tell me to have no fear,
      to fear not, to be not afraid... 

I'm grateful for all that encouragement 
    but the truth is,
       I still have fears...  I'm often afraid...

And you tell me, Be not afraid...

Sometimes, Lord, I'm not even sure I know 
    what it is I fear
but I know when I'm afraid
    because I know how fear feels
         - and I know when I feel it...

And you tell me,  Be not afraid...

Sometimes I'm afraid of things in my past,

   things that don't even exist any more:
      the ghosts of things long gone...

And you tell me, Be not afraid...

And sometimes I'm afraid of what doesn't yet exist:
    I fear what's next
        or what might be, 
            or what could be
    and I even fear, Lord,
        what might never be...

And you tell me, Be not afraid...  

Sometimes, Lord,
    I'm afraid of people 
        I have no reason to fear,
    even people who love and care for me
        and that makes no sense at all.
But sometimes, 
    when I'm confounded and confused
that's when fear's most powerful
    and quick to blind me to my blessings...
       
And you tell me, Be not afraid...

And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of myself
    of who I am, of what I've done 
        or what I might yet do.

And when I'm afraid of myself, Lord,

   then fear runs circles 'round my mind,
       floods my soul and overcomes me:
 fear roots itself within me,
    in my doubts about myself,
    in mistrust of those around me,
    in my bleak view of the future
    in my loss of hope in you...
 
And you tell me, Be not afraid...

And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of you

    - who never tire of telling me
        not to be afraid.
Sometimes I fear how well you know me,
   what you think of me, what you ask of me,

      what you expect of me.
 
And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid 
    that you're not listening,
    that you don't hear me
       - or see me or love me.
even though you tell me again and again:

      Fear not... have no fear... be not afraid...

What will it take, Lord, what must I do, 
   to take a step outside my fear, beyond my fear:
to trust in you, to walk with you with confidence
   that you're my strength and courage,
        my safety and my shield
        my refuge from all danger
        and my hope for what's ahead...

Let your Spirit fill my heart, Lord,
   with the grace I need - and will  need -
to take but one small step
     beyond my doubt, beyond my fear...

Can we start here, Lord, right now, 
   in the quiet of this night?
Will you give me now the faith I need,
    the courage and the strength
to take that one small step that leads
    beyond my doubt, my fear?

I need to hear your words, Lord,
    again and yet again
'til my faith is strong beyond my doubt
      secure beyond my worry and my fear...
 
Let me hear you whisper, Lord,
    have no fear... be not afraid...
        
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Be Not Afraid  by Bob Dufford, SJ

      performed by Sunday 7PM Choir

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!