5/9/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Ascension Thursday


Ascension Day is almost over. Before ascending into heaven, Jesus instructed his friends not to leave Jerusalem until they had received the Holy Spirit - and so they waited 9 days, until Pentecost.
 
We know the story, Lord,
    of your gathering with your friends
        and ascending from their sight
    leaving them the promise
        that the Spirit was soon to come... 
 
So for nine days your friends waited 
    and prayed for the Spirit's coming
in wind and grace and blessing,
    with the fire of your love...  
 
I picture them huddled together, Lord,
    in that same upper room 
where, on the night before you died,
    you broke the Bread of Life
        and blessed your saving Cup...

I hear them telling, again and again, the stories of your life:
    - the story of your calling them 
            and naming them your friends;
    - the stories in your parables,
          the truth you came to share;
    - the stories of your healing those
          distressed, bent low in body and in spirit;
    - the stories of your traveling 'round
          to share your Father's mercy;
    - the story of your passion, your suffering and your death,
          and how they fled in fear and left you all alone;
    - and the story of your rising, your meeting them again,
          greeting them with blessings of pardon and of peace... 
 
Tonight, then, Lord, help me remember
    - the story of your calling me
          and my coming to know you and your love;
    - your parables of wisdom
         and how they've touched my heart, my life;
    - the stories of your healing me
          mending me in my brokenness;
    - the story of your following me,
          never ever leaving my side...
    - the story of your saving me, 
           offering your life upon the Cross,      
      in spite of - because of - all the ways I've failed you
            and betrayed your faithful love;
    - the stories of your showing up
            along the path I walk
       in ways I've least expected you
          - but when I really needed you;
    - the story of my life with you, 
            the story of your love for me,
       a story we're still writing, sharing, living 
            - you and I...
 
No greater story could I tell, Lord,
    than the story of your love,
of your holy Spirit guiding me,
    blessing me on every day,
        in good times and in bad, 
        in sorrow and in joy...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake I might keep watch for you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

My Story by Big Daddy Weave 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

If I told you my storyYou would hear hope, that wouldn't let goAnd if I told you my storyYou would hear love that never gave up

And if I told you my storyYou would hear life, but it wasn't mine
 If I should speak, then let it be of the graceThat is greater than all my sin
Of when justice was served, and where mercy wins!Of the kindness of Jesus, that draws me inOh to tell you my story, is to tell of Him
 
If I told you my story, 
you would hear victory over the enemyAnd if I told you my story, you would hear freedomThat was won for me
 
And if I told you my story, 
you would hear life overcome the graveIf I should speak, then let it be of the graceThat is greater than all my sin
Of when justice was served, and where mercy wins!Of the kindness of Jesus, that draws me inOh to tell you my story, is to tell of Him
 
This is my story, this is my songPraising my savior, all the day longThis is my story, this is my songPraising my savior, all the day long
 
For the grace that is greater, than all my sinOf when justice was served, and when mercy wins!Of the kindness of Jesus, that draws me inOh to tell you my story, is to tell
Of the grace that is greater, than all my sinOf when justice was served, and when mercy wins!Of the kindness of Jesus, that draws me inOh to tell you my story, is to tell of HimOh to tell you my story, is to tell of Him
 
This is my story, this is my songPraising my savior, all the day long

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!