7/10/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 710



 I know I don't need to tell you, Lord,
    how warm it is, how hazy, hot and humid...
 
But it's July:
    summertime in a climate-changed world
        - what else should I expect?
 
How grateful I am for my light schedule
    and AC cooled places to escape to for comfort...
 
But for some, for many,
    heat intensifies every experience
        with little prospect of respite,
so for these brothers and sisters, Lord,
    I plead and pray tonight...
 
The midday heat sweats the worker's frame
    and doubles the burden of labor...
   
Heat heightens the raw emotions     
    of those who are grieving, afraid and worried:
heat rises  in troubled hearts
    like mercury filling the glass...

Heat sharpens hunger and thirst:
    starving and parching the empty bellies
        of millions of homeless children...

Heat piques our resentment and anger
    and magnifies even the smallest annoyance...
 
Heat steams, simmers and stews
    in our tender, vulnerable hearts;
it chafes our precious memories,
    disturbing our peace of mind...
 
And so, Lord:
    at the end of this hot and humid day,
    I     pray some precious respite
    for those whose burdens intensify
        as the Celsius and Fahrenheit rise...

Send your Spirit's strong and gracious breeze
    to cool and refresh,
    console and comfort,
    soothe and relieve,
    nourish and calm,
    revive and cheer,
    restore and lift up
all whom the heat has laid low:
    who long for the shade 
        of your outstretched arms
    by the cool, deep stream
        of your mercy flowing
            swift and sweet and sure...

Send your Spirit, Lord, to quench the thirst   
    of all souls parched and dry, 
withering 'neath the sun that burns     
    in the barren day-to-day desert
        that life can sometimes seem...

Refresh us, Lord!  
Send your rain to slake our thirst,
    to bathe us in your peace!
Cool us with your Spirit's wings
    beating all around us,
filling us with life again,
    with hope and peace and joy...
   
Protect us, Lord while we're awake
    and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Springs of Life  by Ginny Owens

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
How many days, Lord, have I walked in this wilderness?A thirsty pilgrim with no water to drink.And this barren place is making me crazy,In my desperation, I am forced to think.
 Seems like I have spent so much time searchin'In a dry and weary land where there's no Truth.But I think I'm finally realizin',That my only hope of water is the well that comes from You,
 
So, rain down Your love upon mePour out Your mercy on mePlease won't You take me to Your springs of life'Cause I'm dying for deliverance, only You can save me,Oh, I'm waitin', please won't You take me,To Your springs of life.
 
Oh God, You are my God,And my spirit seeks You,But my flesh has failed You time and time again.And now I've chosen this desert when Your love was waitin',But Your stubborn child longs to understand
 So I'll not waste another minute searchin'In a dry and weary land where there's no truth, 
'Cause I think I'm finally realizin'That my only hope of water is the well that comes from You, 
 
So, rain down Your love upon mePour out Your mercy on mePlease won't You take me to Your springs of life'Cause I'm dying for deliverance, only You can save me,Oh, I'm waitin', please won't You take me,To Your springs of life.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!