10/21/24

Folks were asking me for this after mass today...

 After mass this morning, a number of parishioners asked me for a copy of the "10 Ways to Serve" that formed the main portion of my homily.  In response to that request I've expanded my text in some ways and tightened it up in others. Here's the result...

The simple point of these scriptures is that we are called to serve one another - as Jesus served us. That’s a tall order, especially after having heard service described in the first reading as being “crushed in infirmity” and in the gospel as becoming  “a servant to others, a slave to all.”

Sometimes it’s helpful to work the language scripture uses - not to water it down, not to dilute it - but to make it more accessible in the hope that we might be able to find a way to live what the Lord’s word is asking of us.

 

So, let’s look at TEN WAYS we might be a servant of others  --  even a slave to all -- in terms we can grasp and live up to.

 

(Did he really say TEN ways?  How long is this homily going to last?)

 

Fear not!  I’ll make these 10 points briefly - bullet points.

 

1) I can serve others simply by PAYING ATTENTION: by paying attention to their lives, their circumstances: their pain, their burdens, their joys, their problems and their fears… by paying attention and letting others know they are seen, they are heard, they are cared for.

So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 needs me to pay them more attention?
 
2) I can serve others with my AFFECTION:
with a warm word, a hand on a shoulder,  a hug, my gentle presence, a word of praise, a firm handshake, any kind gesture that lets others know they are noticed, cared for, and loved.                 
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 needs a share of my affection?
 
3) I can serve others with my COMPASSION:with my reaching out to someone in trouble, just my “showing up” and being there in someone’s time of need or loss, with my silence, when my silent presence might be the most compassionate gift I can offer…                 
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 is in need of my compassion?
 
4) I can serve others by INCLUDING them: by inviting someone who’s often forgotten, by including someone who’s often, usually, even intentionally left out, by reaching out and drawing in someone who’s afraid to approach the group…
 So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 is waiting to find, to have, to enjoy a place in my life,
 in my circle?
 
5) I can serve others with my PATIENCE: with my willingness to wait - without complaining about waiting, with my calmness in matching the slower pace someone else may be setting, with my perseverance in helping those who stumble and make mistakes - often - even over and over again.    
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 needs me to serve them more patiently?
 
6) I can serve others with my FORGIVENESS: with my not holding others to standards higher than I set for myself, with letting go my grudges, hard feelings, anger and resentments, with my pardoning without punishing…  
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 might I serve and set free 
 - by forgiving them?
 
7) I can serve others with my GENEROSITY: with my freely giving - even before I’m asked, with my quietly giving, behind the scenes, with my finding quiet ways to help those whose resources aren’t as great as my own, with my giving - until I feel the pinch myself…                        
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 has wants and needs my generosity
 might answer and supply?
 
8) I can serve others with my UNDERSTANDING:
with my taking time to really listen, with my listening to others before jumping into what I have to say, with letting go my prejudice and bias, with my efforts to grasp where others may be coming from… 
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 needs my words and deeds
 to be more understanding?
 
9) I can serve others with my TRUTH: with my speaking honestly when a lie would be much easier, with my speaking accurately when I’m tempted to exaggerate, with my speaking face to face and not behind another’s back…
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 deserves a more honest, accurate,
 personal response from me?
 
10) I can serve others with my PRAYER: by praying for others, by praying for others and letting them know I prayed for them, by inviting others to join me in prayer…  
So I might ask myself:
 who at home, at work, at school,
 who around me,
 needs my prayers,
 who needs to know I pray for them,
 whom I might invite to join me in prayer?
 

Ten simple ways for all of us to serve one another as followers of Jesus who served us...

 

I doubt that in serving others in this way that we’ll find ourselves “crushed in infirmity” or that we’ll feel we’ve been “made a slave to others.”

 

In fact, serving others in these ways will likely bring us JOY, the joy of giving of ourselves, in love, for others.

 

In the course of this homily you've heard me ask TEN TIMES: who at home, at work, at school, who around me… And each time I asked that, names and faces, relationships and situations: at home…  at work… and at school… popped up in my mind and heart.

 

I’ll bet you might have had the same experience:  names and faces, relationships and situations - popping up in your mind and heart.  That’s the Lord’s way nudging us and telling us just who are the folks he wants us to serve  tonight, tomorrow, this week…

 
As the Lord served us with his
 attention and affection,
 his compassion and inclusion,
 his patience and forgiveness,
 his generosity and understanding,
 his truth and his prayer:
as Jesus served us,
 so let us serve one another  
  at home, at work, at school and all around us.


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!