10/20/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 10/20


 
 
On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from an element of the day's liturgy.  Our starting point here: the first reading and the gospel from today's mass which remind us of the centrality of serving others in the life of faith...
 
You came to serve, Lord
   - not to be served...

You came to serve 
   not just the beautiful and attractive
     - but most of all, the least of all...
 
You came to serve, Lord,
   and to give your life, to give your life
      in serving others, in serving all...
 
It's not that I don't serve, Lord - I do - 
    but I often need to curb my desire 
        to be the one who's served...
 
It's not that I don't serve, Lord - I do -
    but I need to reach out and tend the needs
        of those I'm least inclined to help...
 
It's not that I don't serve, Lord - I do -
    but I've so much more to give 
        to those so close around me...
 
Help me to serve others, Lord,
    as you serve me...
 
Help me serve those, Lord,
    who have little or nothing
        to offer me in return...
 
Help me serve others, Lord,
    more readily, more freely and more generously
        than I've ever served before...
 
And in serving my neighbor
    help me serve you, Lord,
tonight and tomorrow,
    this week and next month,
the rest of this year
    and all the days of my life...
        
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
The Servant Song by Richard Gillard   

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 

Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant too

We are pilgrims on the journey
We are travelers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the peace you long to hear

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through

When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony,
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant too


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!