10/6/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 10/6


On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from an element of the day's liturgy.  This evening we pick up on Jesus' words in today's gospel 
And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.  Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them.
Lord, 
I was thinking that I'd never do anything
that might keep a child from going to you,
seeking you and finding you
- but then I wondered:
    what about the child in me?
 
Didn't you say that
unless I accept the kingdom as a child
- I won't get in!

Have I become "too adult?"
 
Have my grown-up questions
spoiled the youthful innocence of my faith?
 
Have I lost my childlike wonder and awe
before your beauty, 
your grace,
your simplicity?

Have I become so jaded
that I miss the ways, every day,
you open my eyes
to your kingdom, your reign, your rule
in my life?

Do I prevent the child in me
from seeking you, Lord?
from going to you?
from finding you?
from falling into your arms?

Reintroduce me, Lord,
to the child I am within,
to the child I am 
in my heart of hearts,
to the child who waits
to rest in your arms
and to sit in the lap of your love...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Let the Children Come by Michael Card
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!