10/16/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 10/16

Tonight's prayer comes to us from the writings of Madeleine Delbrel (here and here). It's followed by two musical options - and I hope you'll all give each of them a chance...

To be a good dancer,
   with you as with anyone else, 
      it's not necessary that we know where it will lead.

We only need to follow,
    to be cheerful,
    to be light,
       and above all not to be stiff.
 
We don't have to ask you for explanations
    about the steps that you choose to take.
We need to be like an extension of yourself, 
   quick and alive, 
      and pick up the rhythm of the music through you.
We must not desire to push ahead at all costs,
    but allow ourselves to be spun, 
      to be moved to the side.
We have to know how to pause and slide, and not walk.
 
And the steps would be rather clumsy
    if they were not in harmony with the music.
But we tend to forget the music of your spirit,
    and we turn our life into a gymnastic exercise;
we forget that, in your arms, 
   life is something to be danced,
that your Holy Will 
   is inconceivably creative,
and all monotony and boredom
    is left to the old souls who play the wallflower 
       in the joyful ball of your love.

Lord, come ask us to dance.
 
We're ready to dance this errand for you, 
   these accounts to do, this dinner to prepare, 
      this vigil to keep when we would prefer to sleep. 
We're ready to dance for you the dance of work,
   the dance of heat, and later the dance of cold.

If certain melodies 
   are often played in the minor key, 
      we won't tell you that they're sad; 
if others leave us a little breathless, 
   we won't tell you that they knock the wind out of us.
And if other people bump into us, 
   we'll take it with a good laugh,
knowing well that that's the sort of thing that happens 
   when you're dancing.

Lord, teach us precisely where, 
   in this endless novel
      which has begun to unfold between you and us,
         the peculiar ball of our obedience takes place.

Strike up the great orchestra of your designs
    wherein everything you allow
       sends its strange music
          into the peace of your will.
Teach us every day to dress our human condition
   in the dancing gown you love to have us wear
adorned with all its details,
   like so many priceless jewels.

Make us live our life
   not like a game of chess, where every move is calculated,
   not like a contest, where everything is difficult,
   not like a math problem, which makes our head hurt,
but like an endless celebration, 
   where our meeting with you is constantly new.
Like a ball,
    like a dance,
       in the arms of your grace,
          in the universal music of love,

Lord, ask us to dance.
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
    and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we  might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Two musical options this evening...
1) Tonight's first song is based on the Song of Songs found in the Hebrew scriptures.  The poetic imagery there speaks of love: between a man and woman; between the Lord and his chosen people, Israel; and between God and humankind. 
 
2) Another option is Just by composer David Lang. This simple mantra is also sourced from the Song of Songs.  Although the lyrics repeat over and over again that the Lover seeks "just" this and that from the beloved, indeed, the Lover desires the whole of the beloved - just as God desires all that we have...  This piece is long, simple, repetitive and - prayerful for those who give themselves to it...

If two videos don't appear below, click here!
 
Dance With Me, Lord by Paul Wilbur
   performed by Lindell Cooley 
 

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
Dance with me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs
Romance me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs
 
Behold You have come 
   over the hills, up on the mountainTo me, You have run   my Beloved, You've captured my heart
 
Dance with me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs
Romance me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs

With You I will go, You are my Love, 
   You are my Fair OneThe winter has passed 
   and the springtime has come
 
Dance with me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs
Romance me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs

Romance me, Oh, Lover of my soul   To the song of all songs
Romance me, Oh, Lover of my soul   To the song of all songs
Dance with me, Oh, Lover of my soulTo the song of all songs

 Just by David Lang
  from the film, Youth by Paolo Sorrentino
    
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!



Just your mouthJust your loveJust your anointing oilsJust your nameJust your chambersJust your love
 
And my mother's sonsAnd my own vineyardAnd my soulJust your flockJust your companionsJust your kids
 
Just your cheeksJust your neckJust your couchAnd my perfumeAnd my belovedAnd my breasts
 
And my belovedAnd my loveJust your eyesAnd my beloved
Our couchOur houseOur raftersAnd my loveAnd my beloved
 
Just your shadowJust your fruitJust your banner over meJust your left handJust your right handAnd my belovedAnd my beloved
 
Our wallAnd my belovedAnd my loveAnd my fair oneAnd my loveAnd my fair oneAnd my dove
 
Just your faceJust your voiceJust your voiceJust your faceOur vineyardsAnd my beloved
 
Just your flockAnd my belovedAnd my bedAnd my soulAnd my soulAnd my soulAnd my soulAnd my mother's house
 
Just your swordJust your motherJust your weddingJust your heartAnd my love
 
Just your eyesJust your veilJust your hairJust your teethJust your lipsJust your mouth
 
Just your cheeksJust your veilJust your neckJust your two breastsAnd my loveAnd my brideAnd my heartAnd my sisterAnd my brideAnd my heart
 
Just your eyesJust your necklaceJust your loveAnd my sisterAnd my bride
 
Just your loveJust your oilsJust your lipsAnd my bride
 
Just your tongueJust your garmentsAnd my sisterAnd my bride
 
Just your shootsAnd my gardenAnd my belovedAnd my gardenAnd my sisterAnd my bride
 
And my myrrhAnd my spiceAnd my honeycombAnd my honeyAnd my wineAnd my milk
 
And my heartAnd my belovedAnd my sisterAnd my loveAnd my doveAnd my perfect one
 
And my headAnd my locksAnd my garmentAnd my feetAnd my belovedAnd my hand
 
And my heartAnd my belovedAnd my handsAnd my fingersAnd my belovedAnd my belovedAnd my soulAnd my beloved
 
Just your belovedJust your belovedAnd my beloved
 
Just your headJust your locksJust your eyesJust your cheeksJust your lipsJust your arms
 
Just your bodyJust you legsJust your appearanceJust your speechAnd my belovedAnd my friend
 
Just your belovedAnd my belovedJust your gardenJust your flockAnd my belovedAnd my beloved
 
Just your flockAnd my love
 
Just your eyesJust your hairJust your teethJust your cheeksAnd my doveAnd my perfect oneAnd my motherAnd my fancyAnd my prince
 
Just your feetJust your rounded thighsJust your navelJust your bellyJust your two breastsJust your neckJust your eyesJust your nose
 
Just your headJust your flowing locksJust your breastsJust your breastsJust your breathJust your kissesAnd my beloved
 
Just your desireAnd my belovedAnd my loveOur doorsAnd my belovedAnd my mother's breastAnd my motherAnd my pomegranates
 
Just your left handJust your right handAnd my belovedJust your motherJust your heartJust your arm
 
Our sisterAnd my breastsJust your eyesAnd my vineyardAnd my very ownAnd my self
 
Just your voiceAnd my beloved

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!