8/20/26

Pause for Prayer: THURSDAY 8/20

 
You can see from the image above that I'm taking on a very difficult question here - one that has no quick or easy answers.  And those answers that have been offered, have left many people unsatisfied. I'm not offering an answer in the prayer that follows - more of an exploration of a tough question whose probing, if nothing else, will lead us to ponder and pray over the inscrutable mysteries of God... 
 
I hate it, Lord,
   when bad things happen to good people...
And, let’s face it, Lord:
   bad things happen to good people
      a lot, even often - all the time…
 
And I don’t understand, Lord – WHY –
   some really bad things happen
      to some really good people
   and why sometimes
      the worst things happen
         to the best of people…
 
And I don’t understand, Lord,
   why you  – you who are so good -
why you ALLOW
   bad things to happen to good people,
things that burden and complicate
   and mess up the lives
      of people who’ve done no wrong…

I don’t understand, Lord:
   why hard times fall
      on hard workers;
   or why the rich get richer
      and the poor get poorer;
   or why innocent people
      are unjustly accused;
   or why the kindest of people
      get sick and die;
   or why so many starve
      while food is wasted;
    or while some have 2 homes
      while others are homeless;
   or why hard-working people
      lose all that they have;
   or why innocent children
      are born into poverty;
   or why the weak are bullied
      by strong-armed thugs; 
   why good folks suffer
      for no good reason
   in ways that are painful,
      undeserved and harsh…
 
So, that’s why I wonder, Lord,
   why do you let bad things happen
      to good people
   - why do you let bad things happen
      to ANY people!
 
Why do you, a loving, merciful God
   allow your people, your own, your beloved,
      to know, to experience, to live through
         their losses, suffering and pain?
 
Lord, it’s not that I think
   you’re mean or cruel:
I believe that you’re loving,
   merciful and kind…
 
And it’s not that I think
   you don’t care about me:
I believe that you hold me close
   in your arms, your hands and your heart…

And it’s not that I think
   you forget or abandon me:
 I believe you keep a watchful eye on me
   always, all day and all night…
 
But I also know, Lord,
   that I live in a broken world
a world with sharp and jagged edges
   that cut and scrape and wound and scar
      the bodies and the souls
         of the good and the bad alike

I know, Lord,
   that you’re not the source
      of my suffering and pain…
   that it’s I who fail you,
      not you who fail me…
   that you love me, Lord - all of the time -
         when I’m good – and when I’m not…
 
And I know that hard times come my way
   when I fail to love you
      and my brothers and sisters
         and when I fail to love myself;
that bad things often happen to me
   when I’m foolish, not wise
   when I’m selfish, not generous
   when I’m judgmental, not understanding
   when I’m rude, not respectful
   when I’m greedy, not generous
   when I’m angry, not peaceful
   when I’m arrogant, not humble
   when I’m spiteful, not kind
   when I’m prejudiced, not impartial
   when I’m hostile, not friendly
   when I’m demanding, not accepting,
   when I’m crude, not respectable,
   when I’m aggressive, not approachable
   when I’m rough, not gentle
   when I’m uncaring, not thoughtful
   when I’m lustful, not clean
   when I’m hardhearted, not forgiving
   when I’m reckless, not prudent
   when I’m hasty, not careful
   when I’m hateful, not loving…
 
And sometimes, Lord,
   - when others are judgmental and spiteful -
         that’s when bad things happen to me…

But at other times, Lord,
   - when it’s me who’s spiteful and judgmental
         that’s when bad things happen to others
            - and I’m the one who’s at fault…
 
But you already know all about all of this, Lord,
   because you are good, you are always good
– and yet –
   such bad things happened to you
      and for that we are all to blame…
 
You are good, Lord, loving and faithful,
   merciful, selfless, kind and just
but on account of my faults and my many sins,
   you were unjustly judged and condemned,
and you suffered and died on the Cross for me
   that I might be pardoned, forgiven by you
and have that life and find that peace
   that’s only yours to give…

Walk with me, Lord and be by my side
   when hard things come my way,
      and bad things happen to me
when I don’t understand
   my suffering and my pain
      and I turn to you for healing…
 
When bad things happen to good folks, Lord,
   when bad things happen to me:
deepen my faith in you and your word
   and give me the strength I need
to love my neighbor as myself
   and you, my God, above all…
 
Amen. 

  

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!