5/19/08

Time flies when you're preaching the gospel!



Rejoice with me!

Thirty-five years ago today I lay face-down on the floor of the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston while hundreds of people sang the Litany of the Saints over me and my classmates who were being ordained to the presbyterate of the Archdiocese of Boston.

Little did any of us know that morning what joys and sorrows lay ahead for us as priests and for the whole Church...

It strikes me this morning that I have spent more than half my life in ministry - and ministry is certainly where I intend to spend the rest of my life. I'm grateful to God and God's people (that's you!) that ministry continues to comfort me, challenge me and, I hope, change me. It's also my hope that the Lord, through my ministry, comforts, challenges and changes you!

These 35 years have been happy years for me: happier, richer and fuller than I could have dreamed of on May 19, 1973. These years have also been marked by sadness: deeper and more wrenching than I could have imagined on my ordination morning. But it is a crucified Lord we follow through death to life and we Christians should never be surprised that our path is shadowed by the Cross as we seek Christ's peace.

It's amazing how many mistakes one can make in 35 years, but even more amazing is the mercy of God and the forgiving kindness of his people. I praise God and thank you for pardoning me my failings.

When I was ordained I never dreamed I'd ever own a computer or even know how to use one. At that time I was pretty impressed that my Brother Electric Typewriter featured two whole lines of erasable memory! I certainly had no idea that one day my ministry would extend through this medium but I am certainly glad that it has!

Please pray for me and my ordination classmates - we need it!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!


-ConcordPastor

17 comments:

  1. I have waited since Vatican 2 for a pastor who would do his utmost to implement it. The archdiocese closed the parishes in Concord and gave us a new one. They gave us a wonderful leader. We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings and Congratulations from Siberia!
    Fr. Janez A. Sever, SJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concord Pastor,

    Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

    While you did not know what lay ahead for you on that fateful morning 35 years ago, you have met every challenge with deep faith and inspirational leadership.

    All of us who have been touched by your ministry, either in the "real" world or in cyberspace, are better for it, and we wish you a happy anniversary filled with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 35 years, Austin!
    you do wonders,
    Meighan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many blessings from California on your anniversary! Thanks for extending your ordained ministry to the online world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you, and many happy and ministry-full years to come. God bless!
    -Margo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have touched many lives in your ministry to date. The best is yet to come! Thank you for touching mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although we don't know each other personally, I feel I have gotten to know you over the years because of your informative books and other writings,speaking engagements and now this blog. Happy anniversary and congratulations!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your anniversary and a heartfelt "Thank You"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy that the blogosphere can share in celebrating your 35th anniversary of ordination, Concord Pastor. You share yourself and your gifts so generously with your parishioners and now through your blog a wider audience benefits from those talents, as well. We are blessed to have you as part of our lives. Thank you and congratulations! To take a page from Jackie Gleason...."Austin, you're the greatest!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, and thank you for your ministry. The faith community of Concord is blessed by your gentle pastoral leadership and presence at Holy Family Parish.

    And now for the next 35!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats and to add to the others we are blessed to have you as our pastor. I do praise God for the blessing that you our to Concord.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Father----you have opened the hearts and minds of many of us-----

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, and thank you. I can't tell you how much your ministry has enriched my life since I moved to Boston. Be well, and know that you are always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Austin,
    Those at Holy Family as well as others you have touched on your journey have been blessed to benefit from your pastoral gifts. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Austin on this special day from Mohawk Valley NY.
    I thank you for the many roles you played in my life, Pastor, Spiritual Leader, teacher and friend. You are truly a gift that keeps on giving with this wonderful blog. May you continue touching the lives of those who seek answers and hope.`
    Thank you,
    moval41

    ReplyDelete
  17. AND..when I clicked on the CAKE link -- I was hoping for the RECIPE! Looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!