8/22/08

Need a good laugh?



This evening I went to the Cape Cod Melody Tent here in Hyannis to hear comedian Brian Regan. A friend in Concord had suggested I see this show and I'm grateful for the good advice. Thanks, Tom!

Comic Joe Bolster was the warm-up act and did a fine job of prepping the audience for the evening's major performer. Unfortunately, after about 25 minutes of Bolster's fine routine, an intermission was announced - clearly for the sake of the concession stands.

Enough beer, wine, pizza and popcorn having been sold, Brian Regan came on for about 75 minutes of superb comedy. His style, as you can see in the video above, spins tales based on every day experiences, studded with observations about the obvious that are only slightly overdrawn and close enough to reality to make them side-splittingly funny. Regan's comedy is often noted for its physicality but that doesn't mean slap-stick. It's a reference to the way he uses body language as well as his speech to do his work.

It's worth noting here that both comedians' material was 100% clean as a whistle. No innuendo, no double-entendre, no coarse language - just great humor. I don't consider myself a prude in this regard but one really understands and appreciates humor that doesn't depend on something cheap for its success.

You can enjoy Regan's comedy, without leaving your home, twice in the next two weeks. He'll be on David Letterman next Friday (August 29) and will have a new one hour solo show on Comedy Central on Saturday, September 6.

I'll be watching and I'm passing on the good word to you. Enjoy!

-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing my attention to these two comedians. I ordinarily am not up when David Letterman comes on, but will try to make the effort! Is Comedy Central a separate cable station or is it a program on one of the network stations? I don't watch much TV and tend to be almost exclusively a PBS person (other than the Olympics)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a great re-enactment of this comedy sketch. Here is the link -- too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sketch! The link truly enhances the original. There are a lot of very funny clever people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw Brian Regan on David Letterman. He really is quite funny. His body language in this sketch reminded me of Steve Martin when he and his partner used to do "Wild and Crazy Guys." I found out that Comedy Central is a separate station, but I don't get it. I have Basic, but I need Expanded Basic in order to get it. C'est dommage!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!