12/26/08

The Twelve Days: a bit of a break

As you have seen, my posting has been light this week and some of it rerun from last year. It's amazing how much energy the Christmas Eve and Day schedule can drain from you: ask any cleric, church musician or sacristan!

Our Christmas Eve schedule here in Concord included Mass at 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. and Midnight. All three were very well attended with the 4:00 being jammed. At 3:30 there was only standing room left for "late" arrivers. Our Christmas Day schedule included Mass at 8:00 and 10:30 a.m. A priest from our seminary staff who comes about twice a month on the weekend to celebrate a Mass presided and preached at the first Mass on Christmas morning. That left yours truly at the presider's chair for 4 of our 5 Masses in 20 hours time.

I can remember when sentences starting with "I can remember..." were something I thought only older folks would utter. Well, I can remember... when a schedule like this was a lot easier to work than it has been in recent years. That's not said by way of complaint - part of me would have preferred to celebrate all 5 liturgies because I think it's important for the people to celebrate with their pastor and because I think those who come only once or twice a year should pray with and hear their pastor preaching. But given my energy level by the 10:30, I was glad that Fr. Michael had been here for the 8:00.

As they say, "I'm not getting any younger," and the demands made on me will only increase in the years ahead as parishes merge or pastors in my archdiocese, like those in other places, take on responsibility for 2 or more parishes.

So, I'm slowly building up speed again for my blogging efforts. I was pleased with offering a post for evening prayer for each day of Advent but by Wednesday of the first week of Advent I wondered if I'd be able to keep up with it. I'd like to do a daily prayer post for Lent but I'll need to have some ready to go before Ash Wednesday so that I'm not writing it day to day.

So, your patience will be appreciated as I get back to this work which I love! The week between Christmas and New Year's, the Twelve Days of Christmas, is not too busy so I hope to get some posts prepared ahead of time.

-ConcordPastor

6 comments:

  1. You are too hard on yourself! Blessings . . . post whenever you can and please -- I love re-runs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take-your-time!! I served as a Eucharistic Minister at our 12PM on Christmas day. By that time, our pastor was showing visible signs of fatigue and so were the musicians. So thanks to all who gave their all to help us celebrate and pray together this Christmas.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for adding folks in music ministry and sacristans to the mix. We, too, are exhausted...but joyful. What a privilege to serve the Church in these ways. Wishing you deep peace and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is "God love you. We certainly do!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your energy--and faith-are amazing--it gives us hope
    Happy New Year and be at peace with what you offer

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!