7/26/11

Saints, embracing and kissing


James Martin, SJ has reposted a meditation on a mosaic of Ann and Joachim found in the chapel of Sacred Heart University in Connecticut. The artist is another Jesuit: Marko Rupnik.

Martin's comment on the intimacy the couple shares in Rupnik's work put me in mind of Gioto's Anne and Joachim, here:


Martin points out, "How rare it is in a Christian setting to see a couple portrayed in such a clear demonstration of physical affection."  How sad that even depictions of a chaste embrace shared by a married couple seldom find artistic expression.

In searching for images for my earlier posts on this day, I was disappointed in how few are the portrayals of Anne and Joachim with their grandson, the Christ. There are some instances of Anne and Joachim with Mary in her childhood but it seems to me that at least on occasion, Mary and Joseph might have asked these sainted grandparents to babysit!

Perhaps an artist out there might muse on the possibilities here...

 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed these Anne and Joachim posts today...it's the first time I've ever thought about Jesus having grandparents! I think I'll share them with my students when Grandparents' Day comes around in the fall. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!