1/27/12

A word on anxities and personal demons

Healing the Sick by Ulrich Henn

In a previous post I noted that this coming Sunday's readings raise some significant questions for us:

- To whose prophetic word do I listen?
What words, whose words touch and shape my life?  
turn me this way or that? 
change me, change the path I'm following?  
What words, whose words help and heal me?  
comfort and challenge me?

- What anxieties come between me and my faith in the Lord?
What anxieties, what fears and problems, what worries
come between me and my faith in the Lord?  
What distracts me from the Lord's presence? 
leads me to think God has abandoned me? 
makes me wonder if God is truly with me?

- From what "unclean spirits" might I want Jesus to free me?
The phrase "unclean spirits" might put us off 
but many of us do have our own personal demons, 
haunting us and drawing us away from the Spirit 
who wants only our peace and serenity.  
What personal demons distract me 
from the Lord's Word and my faith?
From what "spirits" might I pray for Jesus to free me?  

In every age, the Lord's Word stirs and moves in the souls of those who want to follow him, those who seek his counsel and peace.

Now's a good time to look over the scriptures we'll hear at Mass this weekend.  You'll find those texts and some background notes on them right here.

Image: Henn, Ulrich. Healing the Sick, from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN.


 

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. Big questions !! The institutional church causes me anxiety these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so helpful with RCIA dismissal this Sunday morning. Thanks for such a thought provoking series of questions. It prompted lots of discussion! Love it when I can "borrow" something from you!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!