5/20/12

Praying 10 minutes today: Novena for Pentecost - Day 3

Image by Down East Stained Glass

Over the next week, we'll be using a novena for our Praying 10 minutes a day.  (After Pentecost Sunday, May 27, we'll return to the usual format.)   The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples (Mary, the apostles and other believers) from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you will find a post with scripture and prayer for that day.

Praying 10 minutes today... 
Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 3

Find a quiet time and place to pray... 
take a few deep breaths... 
be still and know that God is near..


A word to reflect on...
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
to dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
that I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.

Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks;
you my glance seeks.
Psalm 27:1, 4, 7-8

For reflection...

• Where's the darkness in my life?  where are the shadows?
      Where do I need the light of the Spirit?
         Do I seek the light of truth, even when the truth is difficult?
            Do I follow the light of wisdom 
                when foolishness is an option?

• Of what am I afraid?  
      How am I in need of courage beyond my own supply?
         What are my dilemmas? 
            What tough decisions and choices do I face?
               What strength do I need from God's Spirit to help me?
• When I'm in trouble, where do I seek refuge?
      To what havens do I retreat?  On whom do I rely?
         Do I do little more than run? do I try to escape?  
            Or do I go to a place, to others, who can help and heal me?

• What shall I pray for the Church today?
      For the Church to be a light,
        shining in the darkness of the world's pain...
      For the Church to welcome true wisdom
         wherever it is found...
      For the Church to be a refuge 
         for the homeless, the marginalized, the outcast,
            and for all who need a place to be welcomed home...
      
     
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence...  
For which of these gifts will I pray today?

Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit
   to this time of prayer, this quiet time
      and in the stillness, let me know your presence and your power...
With the fire of your love
   draw me out of the darkness of my doubts and fears
      and into the light of your healing rays...
When I am frozen in fear,
   warm me with the fire of your presence
      and give me the strength to get up, take a step,
         and move forward as you lead me...
When I am tempted to run from the light and hide from the truth,
   give me the courage to face what I must see
      and to do what I must do and to trust
         that you are ever at my side...

Come, Holy Spirit,
   fill the hearts of your people
      and kindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
   and you will renew the face of the earth.

(Look to the top of the sidebar and choose one of the 24 songs on the widget as part of your 10 minutes of prayer today...)





   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!