5/24/12

Praying 10 minutes today: Novena for Pentecost - Day 7

Window at Abundant Grace Church


Over the next week, we'll be using a novena for our Praying 10 minutes a day.  (After Pentecost Sunday, May 27, we'll return to the usual format.)   The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples (Mary, the apostles and other believers) from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you will find a post with scripture and prayer for that day.

Praying 10 minutes today... 
Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 7

Find a quiet time and place to pray... 
take a few deep breaths... 
be still and know that God is near..


A word to reflect on...

I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.

Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
Because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.

You will show me the path to life,
fullness of joys in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.
Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7--11

For reflection...

• When my heart is restless, burdened, anxious,
      do I turn to the Spirit for joy?


• When I lack confidence in myself or others
      do I turn to the Spirit to strengthen my faith?


When I lose my way or stumble on my path
      do I turn to the Spirit to guide me and lift me up,
         to lead me in the right direction?

• When times are tough and things aren't going well,
      do I stew in my own problems
         or do I turn to God's Spirit for consolation,
            for serenity and peace?

• What will I pray for the Church today?
      I pray for the Church to be a refuge and haven
         for those who struggle and for those who are alone...
      I pray for the Church to be source of joy
         for those whose hearts are heavy with grief and burdens...
      I pray for the Church to be the path
         for those who seek the Lord, his Word and his truth...
     
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence...  
For which of these gifts will I pray today?

Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit
   to this time of prayer, this quiet time
      and in the stillness, let me know your presence and your power...
Calm our restless hearts with the peace that you alone can give...
Soothe and comfort us
    when we are troubled in mind and heart...
Mend our broken trust and with your gifts
    and make firm our faith and trust...
Give us your wisdom and counsel
    when we are confused and don't know where to turn...
When we stumble on the path of goodness,
    let your fiery presence be our light in the darkness...

Come, Holy Spirit,
   fill the hearts of your people
      and kindle in us the fire of your love...
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
   and you will renew the face of the earth...

(Look to the top of the sidebar and choose one of the 24 songs on the widget as part of your 10 minutes of prayer today...)




   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!