10/7/13

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 10/8

Image source

From my second floor windows I can watch the squirrels scampering over the roof of my garage and scurrying from tree to tree.  I imagine they're getting ready for the winter ahead of us!  This puts me in mind of these few lines which have been attributed to St. Francis of Assisi:

I once spoke to my friend, an old squirrel, 
about the sacraments.

He got so excited and ran into a hollow in his tree 
and came back holding some acorns, 
an owl feather and a ribbon he found. 

And I just smiled and said, 
"Yes, dear, you understand: 
everything imparts His grace."  


Audio for today's Pause for Prayer
 

Lord,
help me find the "acorns, feathers and ribbons"
revealing you and your grace
in my life, today...

Make me grateful for the smallest ways
you show your face, touch my heart
and leave small traces of your presence
by my side...

Let me find my joy in simple gifts:
in autumn leaves and breezes,
in apples, squash and pumpkins,
in the sacramental moments of this day...

Help me treasure all the ways
the world around me shows your hand
imparting grace in all the outward signs
of everything you've made...

Yours is the earth and all it holds,
the world and all who dwell here:*
I rejoice in your creation:
in all things bright and beautiful,
all creatures great and small,
in all things wise and wonderful:
you, Lord, made them all!**

Amen.


* Psalm 24:1
** All Things Bright and Beautiful


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!